Thetford, Cannock Chase or Betws y Coed?

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited April 2008 in MTB rides
A couple of mates and myself are having a boys weekend away at the end of the month. Plan is to take bikes and tents (left at campsite, not ride with them) and make our way round a few trails.

We've narrowed down the following:

Thetford
Cannock Chase or
Betws y Coed (Gwydyr)

We're all reasonably fit, with limited experience (I road bike quite a bit though), we want somewhere that will keep us amused all day Saturday and Sunday morning, provide a bit of a challenge, but most of all fun!

Out of the three where would people recommend and why?

Comments

• BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    Having ridden at all three places, Betws-y-Coed by a mile. Penmachno and the Marin Trail just down the road and Llandegla a shortish drive away.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • Having ridden at all three places, Betws-y-Coed by a mile. Penmachno and the Marin Trail just down the road and Llandegla a shortish drive away.

Seconded!

Not much to do in BYC in the evening though, we did the same sort of thing last summer.

Loads of people around in the day but no-one to be seen in the evening. The only bar (i think it's a hotel as well) that had anyone in it was that one with a big courtyard at the front, it was packed!

If you don't fancy camping they have a look at this place - The Vagabond

We stayed there, very good value for money.
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • BeardedDave
    The hotel with the bar and courtyard was where we stayed last year and we spent every evening in the bar! They actually have a bunkhouse out back, with rooms for about £12 per person per night - although they were more like prison cells! I think it was the Glan Abar Hotel.
  • BeardedDave
    Glan Aber Hotel bunkhouse: http://www.glanaberhotel.com/bunkhouse.htm
  • hammerite
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Those bunk houses look pretty good value for money, would help avoid the cold - the wilds can be a bit miserable in April!, and mean that we would need to mess about pitching the tents!!

There being few bars in the evening is no problem, we can amuse ourselves with the help of a couple of tins.
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Coed Y Brenin?
  • hammerite
    DanEvs wrote:
    Coed Y Brenin?

Yes this was/is under consideration too, we all know Betws y Coed reasonably well so we know we can turn up, get where we want and then get on with the trails, without having to worry about finding our way about. I also think Coed y Brenin would be an extra hour-ish travel which could effect the amount of time we have on Sunday.

Still may well go there as well.
  • DanEvs
    The new XC loop on the Cwm Penmachno trail is pretty good, really flowy and worth doing if you're in the area. :)
  • hammerite
    Are penmachno and marin trails ok for people with limited experience and hardtails? Or are they properly hardcore?
  • DanEvs
    hammerite wrote:
    Are penmachno and marin trails ok for people with limited experience and hardtails? Or are they properly hardcore?

No they are both fine, both classed as very XC trails with nothing too steep or technical. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
  • hammerite
    DanEvs wrote:

No they are both fine, both classed as very XC trails with nothing too steep or technical. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.

We've gone with the general consensus with Betws y coed, and will also stay in one of the bunk houses, saves faffing around with tents and probably doesn't cost any more!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    You've chosen well.

Stay in Betws and you've got a multitude of cracking rides a shot drive away. Saturday could be a coed y brenin day and then you have the sunday morning to do either the marin or penmachno.

Dont forget that the 'Ultimate outdoors' shop at the top of Betws y Coed on the right hand side has a free bikewash with muc off!!

There is also a good bikewash at Coed Y brenin and some cracking shower facilities so you wont have to travel back up to Betws stinking.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • malc101
    malc101 Posts: 115
    Having ridden at all three places, Betws-y-Coed by a mile. Penmachno and the Marin Trail just down the road and Llandegla a shortish drive away.

I have only been to wales once and my mate took me too both of BYC and Llandegla.
    Very good weekend of riding. We statyed at his place in Shrewsbury so didnt have to worry about tents. Enjoy
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)
  • hammerite
    scale20 wrote:
    You've chosen well.

Stay in Betws and you've got a multitude of cracking rides a shot drive away. Saturday could be a coed y brenin day and then you have the sunday morning to do either the marin or penmachno.

Dont forget that the 'Ultimate outdoors' shop at the top of Betws y Coed on the right hand side has a free bikewash with muc off!!

There is also a good bikewash at Coed Y brenin and some cracking shower facilities so you wont have to travel back up to Betws stinking.

thanks for the tips.

I usually ride with clipless pedals (one side SPD, the other flat), should I use the flat side only for these trails?

Just thinking that I may end up needing to put a foot down if it gets too technical for my ability.