Whats that creak?

Ashley_R
Ashley_R Posts: 408
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
My winter bike, a Giant OCR about 4 years old has developed a really bad creak around the botttom bracket area

Its been back for a service at the LBS, no difference, back again for a new bottom bracket, still no difference, what else can it be?

Been out on it tonight, defintely coming from that region, reached a point that even peple that I ride with are annoyed by the noise!!
You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Is it a rhythmic creak that is obviously related to the turning of the crank, i.e. once or twice every turn of the pedals? Can you get the creak by turning the cranks gently when off the bike or does it only happen under load? Assuming the new bottom bracket was fitted properly and that there's nothing wrong with the bottom bracket shell, it has to be something to do with the cranks, chainrings or pedals. Firstly, make sure it's not the pedals - can you swap them for another pair temporarily? Then check the fitting of the crank arms to the bottom bracket. What type of fitting is it? Tapered BB/cranks can creak if they are not done up tightly enough, but the LBS should have made sure they were...
  • Rexy100
    Rexy100 Posts: 6
    Hi Ashley

I may be oversimplifying things here, but taking neeb's advice, ie. under load? occurs when free-wheeling etc? I had the same issue on my hybrid and sworn the sound came from somewhere sinister like the bracket. Turned out the seat collar had worked slightly loose and the sound was being transferred down the seatpost. Sorry if too obvious and you've already checked it.

Steve.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    This won't be your problem as you have a creak rather than a click, but I once spent ages trying to diagnose a worrying BB click that turned out just to be the free end of the front derailleur cable catching on the crank arm... :)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    It is most likely the seatpost - remove and regrease (unless carbon post). remember to remove the shim and grease between the shim and frame also.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Ashley_R
    I'm sure it is the bottom bracket area, it does only make it under load, nothing freewheeling or gentley turning the pedals

The seatpost is a carbon one that I've recently fitted, creaking was there beforehand unfortunately!

Seems to be every half pedal revolution, so damn annoying! :evil:
  • Slow Downcp
    I had exactly the same problem with a Giant OCR, convinced it was BB/Chainset/Pedal but turned out to be the post. Does is stop if you pedal out of the saddle?

If it does, try grease between the seatpost shim and frame, but make sure the inside of the shim remains dry. Failing that a plastic USE shim may help.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • one that got me... thought it was the cranks and bb but was actually the pedals. might be worth taking those off and regreasing them too.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • Ashley_R
    I had exactly the same problem with a Giant OCR, convinced it was BB/Chainset/Pedal but turned out to be the post. Does is stop if you pedal out of the saddle?

If it does, try grease between the seatpost shim and frame, but make sure the inside of the shim remains dry. Failing that a plastic USE shim may help.

Yes it does stop when peddling out of the saddle!

Sure it did it with the old stem that I changed but will give it go, thanks!
  • benvickery
    benvickery Posts: 124
    Ashley, I seem to have the same problem as you. Under load I get a click every time I turn the pedals. I've greased and oiled the pedals, I've checked that nothing is hitting the pedals and cranks and I'm getting a bit fed up. There is no movement at the bottom bracket and I can't believe the problem is with that considering I've only done 600 miles. My planet-x bike is less than 3 months old.

Does anyone know if you can grease an alloy post with a carbon post?

FCN : 4
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    benvickery wrote:
    Ashley, I seem to have the same problem as you. Under load I get a click every time I turn the pedals. I've greased and oiled the pedals, I've checked that nothing is hitting the pedals and cranks and I'm getting a bit fed up. There is no movement at the bottom bracket and I can't believe the problem is with that considering I've only done 600 miles. My planet-x bike is less than 3 months old.

Is it at the same point of the pedal revolution everytime? Or is it about Once or twice per revolution?

I had what I thought was a dodgy BB, but it actually was a stiff link in the chain, which gave a good loud click everytime it went through the rear derailer. It's hard to place the sound, but I'd suggest watching the chain go through the rear derailer to see if there's a stiff link making the sound.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For some strange reason all the noises on all of the bikes I've ever owned seemed
    to be coming from the bottom bracket area. Of course this turned out not to be true
    but it sure seemed that way.

Dennis Noward
  • benvickery
    benvickery Posts: 124
    Is it at the same point of the pedal revolution everytime? Or is it about Once or twice per revolution?

I had what I thought was a dodgy BB, but it actually was a stiff link in the chain, which gave a good loud click everytime it went through the rear derailer. It's hard to place the sound, but I'd suggest watching the chain go through the rear derailer to see if there's a stiff link making the sound.

It always happens at the same point of the revolution, when my right foot is straight down.

Re: the chain, the problem is that it onlys clicks under load, but I can certainly have a look. I thought it might be the chain hitting the front derailleur, but I can't see how it can. I'm off next week so I'll have time to give the bike a good going over.

Thanks

FCN : 4
  • combat_wombat
    combat_wombat Posts: 2,188

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    It can also just be the bottom of your cleat rubbing on the pedal. I had this with the right hand pedal and cleat.
    A worse one I had was when under load a creaking. Swapped chainsets off other bike, still the same, checked pedals still the same, two days later chain snapped!! Proble diagnosed.
    Another one I was convinced was my bb turned out to be the quick release on my front wheel too tight !! I only noticed as the nosie stopped when th bike was in a stand but made the noise when my fat arse was on it :)
  • Ashley_R
    Slow down you're a genius!! :idea:

removed, cleaned, regreaed and tightened the seat post, been out this morning and no creak, thank you :D !!
    did tighten it far more than I would have normally with a torque wrench, its an alloy one with carbon wrap, but the silence is wonderful!

next question now, whats your solution for this god awful weather...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Ashley_R wrote:
    key_visual1.jpg

:lol:
  • Ashley_R
    whyamihere wrote:
    Ashley_R wrote:
    key_visual1.jpg

:lol:

Is it carbon fibre?? :wink:
  • Slow Downcp
    Ashley_R wrote:
    Slow down you're a genius!! :idea:

No problem

Either emigrate to somewhere sunny, or wear an extra layer (or five).
  • Don't know if this helps but I had something that sounds identical to your problem that turned out to be a problem with the Shimano SPD SL pedal post. Apparently they have a sealed bearing and mine had leaked causing the bearing surfaces to run dry...very annoying, only happened under load, sounded like BB and damn difficult to trace!
    LBS nailed it in the end though.

:)