Hybrid to road bike - is it worth switching.

johnnyc71
johnnyc71 Posts: 178
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I've saved up enough money to treat myself to a road bike. I know it will feel different to my aluminium hybrid (which weighs 30lbs), but will I be any quicker?

To put it into perspective - my budget can be anything between £1000 - £2000. I feel inclined towards a sportive / audax type geometry - something like the Specialized Roubaix or the Planet X Ti sport.

One more thing - I weigh 255lbs - so the bike needs to be strong.

Is it worth making the switch - or losing more weight first.

Sorry for all the questions - just need some help and advice.

Comments

• Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I've just changed from a hybrid to a road bike, and now I wonder why I ever bothered with a hybrid. (At the time I bought the hybrid, I came from a mountain bike, and I think a road bike might have been too big a jump then.) It's lighter, it's easier, it's faster. It's easier to get up the hills, it's slightly faster downhill, and it's much faster on the flat. (To put this into perspective, I have changed from a Halfords Apollo hybrid to a Trek road bike.)

My new bike is a Trek 1.2 WSD, which has a triple chainset and an upgrade to Tiagra shifters. Cost me £525 including the upgrade.

I'm not sure about different bikes and weight because I'm a small woman, but I'm sure there will be someone else who can advise you on that.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You'll definitely notice the difference between a hybrid and a road bike, I notice a massive difference between my good road bike and my cheap road bike - my average speed is similar though. Acceleration is poorer on the heavier bike, once I get both going they are similar. (Most of the difference I notice is due to the gear changes though).

You should be fine with a road bike at your weight - I think HowieJMidlands is about the same weight as you.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • johnnyc71
    Thanks for the replies. I suppose I need to actually try a few bikes out. Anyone know of any good shops in Birmingham that let you do test rides?

Also - how do the gear levers work on a road bike? - I've only ever used trigger and grip shifters before. Are they easy to get used to?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    johnnyc71 wrote:
    Also - how do the gear levers work on a road bike? - I've only ever used trigger and grip shifters before. Are they easy to get used to?

Easy peasy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    johnnyc71 wrote:

With Shimano STI's (except Sora) the brake lever has a smaller lever tucked inside it, you shift the whole brake lever accross (inwards) for changing in one direction, and just the inner lever (also inwards) for changing in the other direction.

Campag and Sora have a button / small tab on the inside of the hood instead of the second inner brake lever, otherwise the principal is the same.

They are very easy and you will take no time in learning to use them.

One note about Sora shifters, some people find operating the tab tricky from the drops, others don't. I don't think Campag offers any such difficulty (I have never used them).
  • johnnyc71
    Sounds quite straight forward. All I need to do now is find a suitable bike!
  • Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    Try Epic Cycles In Worcestershire, they will let you have a test ride and they aren't that far from Brum.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/

I bought a Wilier Mortirolo with Veloce and Racing 5's for £1399.
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • johnnyc71
    Thanks Speck - Looks like a decent store. That 2008 Willier Izoard looks good.
  • Iggypop
    Iggypop Posts: 1
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but on the question of weight i am about 235 lbs. Can carbon bikes take the same sort of weight?. I have been looking at the Specialized Sirrus Limited . Thanks Ian. :D