Le Tour (well my version anyway)

wallabyhunter
wallabyhunter Posts: 61
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
I know it's maybe the wrong time of year, I can't change that now. I will be in France (from Aus) in July - Aug 2008.

Due to a number of circumstances, my route is going to be Nevers > Cours > Gien > Orleans >Blois > Tours > Saumur > Angers > Nantes > Saint Nazaire.
Any thoughts on the route? Any "must do's" " must don'ts"?
Any best experiences?

gb

Comments

• you will be in chateauland so worth visiting. everyone has personal favourites. chambord is huge and popular and has a da vinci designed double spiral staircase. personallt i preferred azay le rideau a real jewel and chenonceau is wonderfully sited over water. chambord is of a scale you could imagine living in. if you like curiosities art/sculpture the "helice terrrestre" is near angers, you can google it: sculptor has carved designs onto walls of spiral corridors. not been myself but looks worth a visit. angers has a castle with huge defensive walls.
    try to speak french, even an incompetent effort will help to get cooperation. just going in with english and assuming people will understand you will get you nowhere. it is normal to say bonjour to server in any shop you go in and to say bonjour to others when going into a cafe. you pay after finishing in a cafe but get your money out when the drinks come as it is easy to forget. a cheery "bonne journee" is usually said on leaving a shop
  • Thnaks for that, been doing a bit of research since & trying to remember my school boy French. Should be OK on that score!.

gb