1st clipped in fall - with a difference

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I finally got around to riding clipped in and tested it last night. Got very cocky very quickly and wondered how anyone ever fell with them in, then....

...balancing at the front of a queue of traffic I turned the wheel to keep my balance and it caught on my big clown feet. Hadn't even considered that a pair of size 11 shoes could be set up in the wrong position and would stop the wheel from turning - could have been bad if it happened at speed.

Cut knee and huge embaracement but still a chuckle to myself as I pulled off.

Take this as a warning anyone with big feet going clipped in for the first time :lol:
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It wouldn't happen at speed. When you're at speed you steer your bike by leaning, not by turning the wheel in any significant way, certainly not far enough to catch on your feet. It depends on the geometry of your bike as well as your shoe size and cleat position.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    I've been clipped in for about 18 months without a fall. However, I've also had a couple of close "moments" when I've thoughtlessly tried to change my wheel position whilst stationary and nearly come to an embarassing end.

It's only a matter of time!!

David
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Steve_F wrote:
    ...still a chuckle to myself as I pulled off.

Whatever turns you on :lol:
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    Haha it's a very humbling feeling having your first one.

Mine was on the trails on my MTB and I managed to escape with only a concussion.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    After trying on the road bike I'm now sure I won't be clipping in on the MTB, prefer sticky shoes with studded pedals. Will be sticking with it on the road bike, felt the difference straight away.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike