MTB running slicks

baggsy
baggsy Posts: 44
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I've got a high end MTB running 1" slicks.

how close does this come to using an average roadie? With the wheels being smaller and the gearing different would there be a massive improvement getting a road bike?
I'm comfortable riding at 19mph with this set-up but what would I expect if i made the swap

Comments

• Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    I guess it is a hardtail?

are you runnning out of gears? (I don't think so at 19mph).
    I seem to be about 2 mph faster on my racing bike than my MTB on 1.4 slicks

I don't think it's a massive difference until I try chasing the groups with racing bikes.... then an extra 2mph would be very welcome!

I do find the MTB more comfortable though.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    If you just use yer bike on the road, try getting bigger chain rings, they make a great difference :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most resistance, after about 16mph, comes from the air. Body shape is a huge factor. More pressure in the tyres offer less resistance, and narrower tyres are more aerodynamic: narrower tyres are also easier to get to higher pressures!

Why do roadies use 700c tyres? One reason is, that even thought the tyre patch area is the same at a given pressure, it is a different shape. This causes slightly less tyre deformation when rolling as it the patch is longer, and thinner, and this results in slightly less rolling resistance for a given pressure. Also UTC rules. They are more comfortable too as the wheel absorbs more vibration due to inherant flex.

Triathletes are often seen using 26inch wheels. This allows the rider to get a lower, more aero position with the wheel tucked under them, and this position can outweigh the benfits of reduced resistance from the bigger wheel, given that roadies like to ride in packs where the tail riders have less resistance from the air anyway.

Smaller wheels can always be built lighter; always accelerate quicker and can always be built stronger.
  • baggsy
    baggsy Posts: 44
    all makes sense now!!

cheers
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    So presumably clip on aero bars would make a big difference.