planet x pro carbon

lilactime
lilactime Posts: 86
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
anyone got one ? seriously tempted , may even drive 2 hours to doncaster to have a look.£999 and unbelievable spec . and look amazing . please tell me they are as good as they look .

Comments

• Got one two weeks ago.

Fantastic bike for the money. I arranged a visit to Doncaster so I could get the correct size frame, stem, cranks etc and the guys at Planet-X were really friendly & helpful.

I think they're now doing the £999 bike with Dura-Ace shifters. I got the Ultegra but for the same money you may as well get the shifters upgraded.

The photos on their website don't do the bikes justice, they're much better in the flesh!

I can highly recommend them!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Ive not got one but Ive seen loads of people recommend the planet x carbon bikes on here over time, seem to have a very good reputation.
  • benvickery
    benvickery Posts: 124
    I've had mine for 2 and a half months and done 530 miles and I love it. I had a 2 week break recently as I was ill and when I got back on it for the first time I remembered just how great it was. I haven't had a road bike for years so I'm not the most qualified reviewer but I would say it is as good as it looks.

FCN : 4
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Anyone got any pics of theirs?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Here's a link:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... ld_13.html

Seriously considering this and given that Wiggle are about to increase the prices of their Focus Range this really will be in a class of its own for value.

The brakeset is a real letdown though however the wheels are really light @ 1570gm/pair.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Check this link out for the Planet-X appreciation society:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

img0264800el5.jpg
  • doyler78
    OMG that thread has put me clean off them, its scary. All that Planet X plastered over absolutely everything. It looks tacky. I guess I don't get cycle fashion. Branding taken to the extreme in my opinion.
  • Not everyone runs planet x carbon 50s on a planet x bike .

For the reasons you mention - too much branding - our model B wheels dont have ANY decals , pure stealth , and then we get grief for not having decals on them - you cant please everyone .

Similarly we put no logos on our stealth TT bars and had a good few comments saying why no logos .

Anyway , for what its worth I agree , a PX bike with px carbon wheels , and px parts is over logoed , were downplaying the branding (see the new ti road / sportive - etched logos on ti , very subtle).
  • doyler78
    Not everyone runs planet x carbon 50s on a planet x bike .

For the reasons you mention - too much branding - our model B wheels dont have ANY decals , pure stealth , and then we get grief for not having decals on them - you cant please everyone .

Similarly we put no logos on our stealth TT bars and had a good few comments saying why no logos .

Anyway , for what its worth I agree , a PX bike with px carbon wheels , and px parts is over logoed , were downplaying the branding (see the new ti road / sportive - etched logos on ti , very subtle).

That's good news Dave. My interest isn't in tri bikes, just followed the link so I get a closer look at the bikes as the photo you have of your £999 build bike is a bit small on my monitor to see any detail. My fears are somewhat allayed now given the wheels that are on that bike are the Model B's and as you have said they don't have any decals that would take some of the garishness out of it. Still think that the seat tube decal is unnecessary as it doesn't tell anyone anything more than the downtube does ie it's a Planet X and given that if you marry it up with a planet x seat post then you have two sets of planet x branding very close to each other. If the decal is used to say something new then I wouldn't really have a problem but just to repeat what is already known is gauche in my opinion and as you say there are plenty that will disagree with that view.

It's now back on my list of possibles.
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Hi lilac, this should work
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • simmo3801
    Yeah lilac click the signature. Bought as standard and added Campagnolo Euros and fitted grey Michelin Pro 2 Race tyres. Nice and cheap now Pro 3s out. It's a crackin' bike. I also have a Spec Allez Elite which I thought was light and fast but this is like night and day!!!!!!!!!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • lilactime
    looks good !! what size frame is it ?
  • simmo3801
    I got a large. I'm a hair under 6ft and due to living in Scotland couldn't find a retailer near enough to try one so emailed Andy at Planet X and he confirmed that a large would be the right size. I'd measured my Allez and compared measurements on the build sheet on Planet X website.
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • doyler78
    edited April 2008
    simmo38011 nice pic. Now that looks like a bike I would like to ride.
  • poprad
    poprad Posts: 51
    simmo - how do you find the ride compared with an Allez? Presumably it is lower at the front end, so perhaps not as comfortable over longer (sportive) distances?
  • simmo3801
    I've only had the bike since the end of January and living in Scotland it seems to have rained since so I haven't been able to get out on it as much as I would have liked. I find it a lot smoother than the Allez with a lot less vibration. As far as the lower front end I had turned the stem over and taken out the spacers on the Allez to make it lower anyway as i prefer the lower position. I'll be using it for the Etape Caledonia next month so I'll see how comfortable it is then!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I've done 3000 miles on mine since I bought it last year - excellent machine, light, fast, etc Some photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fachwen/se ... 142015896/
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • lilactime
    nice bike kieth . what was the spec when you bought it ? did you buy witout seeing ? what size frame ? and if you dont mind how much did you pay originally ? thanks .