Touring / Road bike purchase advice

Clip me in
Clip me in Posts: 89
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm looking at buying one bike that I want to use for two main reasons:

Firstly I want something quite light and quick to go for long rides carrying only food (in my jersey pockets)

Secondly I want a bike to enable me to go further, a long weekend in the UK, perhaps some riding around Europe with a longterm eye on a big ride in a couple of years to Turkey, so it must take panniers.

However I can only afford one bike, and with a budget of £6 - 700 I suspect I'm looking at second hand.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what might be suitable?
And I am right to presume that no carbon bike will support the weight of panniers?

Thanks

Wearing lycra will not make you go faster.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is not easy to get a bike that will suit both light weight and load carrying abilities. I have a 531c Reynolds Dawes Audax, (cost around £700) it s reasonably fast and a great day ride / commuter bike. It has rack mounts and can cope with maybe 5 to 10 kg load but if I put a full touring load on the rear triangle flexes too much, so I have to use my modified rigid Ti mtb for tours.

Something like a Dawes Galaxy will be an excellent tourer, comfy and sturdy, and is within your budget, and it would be fine for your other uses, but could not be considered to be light. You should lso be able to find quite a few secondhand and could probably get the better specced Super or Ultra models within budget (they are no lighter though). They weigh about 13.7kg (though that is with racks and mudguards fitted) whereas the Audax weighs about 11.3kg.

A bike I have my eye on is the Condor Heritage, an Italian steel framed tourer, a bit lighter than the Galaxies, around £1000, got an enthusiastic review in C+ who found it quite "racy".

I am not sure you can really meet both your requirements unless you spend a lot more and get something like a Van Nicholas Amazon, its a Ti bike that claims to do everything, but they are around £1700 built up. Even at the £1000 mark you are really looking at fast and light or a load carrier.
  • It sounds to me that what you are looking for is a good cyclocross bike. Wiggle are doing the Focus Mares Cross for £699, which looks a great bike, although it seems to lack rear eyelets.

I have to say though, that you will struggle to get a bike that is light and quick, and will also do a ride to Turkey, unless you are able to travel ultralight (not impossible, but only for the fairly hard core). I'd suggest you are really looking for two bikes - a decent road bike perhaps, and a cheap tough second hand mtb perhaps for a more difficult tour.

You won't get a carbon bike for that budget - Planet X are about the cheapest. There is no reason why a carbon frame couldn't take a rack, but its very rare for them to be equipped with eyelets for one. What you do have to look out for is using saddlebags or similar which use clamps, these are not recommended for carbon seatposts.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I bought a thorn expedition 1998 - stripped with slicks its realtively quick (but not light) and loaded it is lovely...:-) ... but its not for sale :) . An old second hand MTB (with eyelets for pannier rack etc) would be a good choice too - naturally without suspension etc. You might then be able to buy another bike - for the speed aspect.
  • Thanks for the tips. It does seem I will have to compromise on either speed or load-bearing ability.

From Condor I really like the look of the Agio or the Fratello, I'm going to call in this evening to take a look.

I also found the Independent 'Steel Independence'
    http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/steelindependence.shtml

and the Longstaff bikes look good too
    http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/

I'm thinking that even with a compromise I'm going to have to increase my budget a bit or try to find one of the above (or an equivalent) second hand - which might be tough.

Any other recommendations gratefully received.

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Clip me in wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. It does seem I will have to compromise on either speed or load-bearing ability.

From Condor I really like the look of the Agio or the Fratello, I'm going to call in this evening to take a look.

I'm thinking that even with a compromise I'm going to have to increase my budget a bit or try to find one of the above (or an equivalent) second hand - which might be tough.

I don't think the Condor bikes apart from the Heritage will be up to long distance touring, so if you resolve that your fast road bike won't be able to do this then you have a much wider choice of road bikes, nice as those other Condors are.

Maybe the s/h rigid mtb is the answer for touring, only drawback is the heel clearance is often limited on mtb frames, but this can be retrieved by using a rack like the Tubus Logo or Cosmo which have a lower and further rearward pannier mounting rail.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I'm no expert but my Specialized Cirrus pro is fantastic for commuting and takes a rear pannier as well. I use it mainly for a baby seat but it handles really well with that weight so I'm sure a touring bag would be no problem.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You might need to increase your budget a smidge but provided you're not too precious about the weight you should be able to get a perfectly decent bike that will do what you want. Even bikes without eyelets can be made to carry racks (though it's less hassle to start with a bike with eyelets). I'd get something like a Plaet-X Kaffenback, or Uncle John or a Cotic Roadrat.
  • I would go for the Thorn club tour, I have used it as a touring, commuting and generall bike.
    Cycled from venice to London over the alps with 27kg of tat. Climbed Stelivo, 2878 m climb and having this bike made it much easier. Budget is around the £700 mark, you can upgrade to bettre spec once you replace the worn out parts.
    pics of bike

http://picasaweb.google.com/cycletouringjoe
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite which I used for commuting and weekends in the dales, they cost £500 and have flat bars - an alternative with drops would be a Giant SCR2. The Sirrus weighs about 24lbs including the saddle, pedals & a rack - which is an Edinburgh Co-op cheapy and will carry about 15lb (tent, cooking equipment, spare clothes etc). I changed the 700x28c tyres to 700x25c Gator Duraskins, which makes it a bit faster on the commute.

I also have an old Edinburgh Co-op Country touring bike (about 4 years old) which I use for week long rides, but this weighs around 32lbs without any luggage. If you look on eBay, you should find an old Dawes Galaxy tourer for around £100 or less, which should allow you to get the experience of touring.

If you do decide to go for a specific light tourer, make sure you visit the company (Thorn, Hewitt, Ribble etc) and have the bike fitted to you and not just get one 'off the peg'. It's no good getting halfway to Turkey and then finding that the bike is the wrong size!
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!
  • wasi
    wasi Posts: 109
    How about the Planet X Kaffenback or the Surly Cross Check? Both would be be good compromises. The only downside of the cheaper Kaffenback is the tyre clearance is not as generous, 25 or 28 max, can't remember.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I wouldn't suggest long-distance touring on a MTB unless it is going to be substantially off (or rough) road.

I too have a Sirrus Elite (2001 vintage) which after 4/5 years general cycling and a bit of touring I equipped with drops and a Brooks B17, which improved it immensely. It's a nice bike, still going (relatively) strong but now I would not be looking flat bar at all, I'd get something with drops from the get-go (it's not a particularly cheap conversion.)

A cyclocross bike like the Specialized Tri-Cross might be ideal; no personal experience there though. I'm currently waiting on a Van Nicholas Amazon which is a sort of titanium cross/tour frame but don't know how that will turn out yet. Aim is to use this for touring, etc but may consider buying a road bike also.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    A Hewitt Cheviot isn't too far out of your price range in base form, sturdy and well built

Mines fine for long tours and still find it nippy enough when I feel up to it on the way home!!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    The Specialized Tricross Sport is £700 and would be a good choice for both purposes. Here's mine with a pannier on:

original.jpg

It's pretty fast on road, capable of being ridden off-road (I've done some mountain bike trails on mine) plus will take full mudguards and front & rear racks.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    Clip me in wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. It does seem I will have to compromise on either speed or load-bearing ability.

An IF bike, you'll really have to up your budget for that......but they are great bikes. If you are up in that price range I'd recommend you look at Mercian Cycles too and the Rivendell Rambouillet and the new Homer Hillsen. The Rambouillet is a great sport touring bike with lots of braze ons, but still quick
  • timddeb
    timddeb Posts: 1
    Hi. I have been wrestling with this for some time. My first serious touer is a Thorn Brevet, however, deal with St. John Street Cycles with caution. One year they tell you 700c then 26" is the bees knees, then after trumpeting about their frames are all 531 they go and make the same name bike in cro mo, in short, they tell you what is convenient for them at the time. I bought my bike from them around 1998 and have covered 25000 miles since then. I wasn''t impressed when I found out the shifters they fitted were obsolete in 1991, :( so as I say, if you deal with them be careful. The bikes I bought are reasonably light and have proved to be ok. at carrying loads for camping. I have also dabled with other bikes, (I am getting there honest) and have also toured on Dawes Ultra Galaxies, lighter again and coped well with the quick stuff, but the best compromise I have found for a light road bike and touring, is the airnimal. Light, stiff fast, 109 equipped takes a rack and the tie on type of mudguards this has rapidly become my favourite all rounder. Talk to AVC in Bath and they do the tax rebate scheme and hey presto the bike is in your budget!
  • Clip me in
    Clip me in Posts: 89
    Thanks for all the tips.
    I had an enjoyable time doing lots of research and talking to bike shops. In the end I upped my budget a bit (couldn't quite stretch to an Independent or a Mercian) and went for the Condor Fratello.
    I ordered the bike five weeks ago and am picking it up on Friday - I'm very excited.

The service at Condor was mixed, but luckily I got a really good guy when I actually ordered the bike and measured me up.

Off to Cornwall next week so will give it a real test then.

CMI

• A TREK 520 is by far the best for the money, a relaxed ride, but very quick handling and fast if you just change the tires from wide low pressure to narrow high pressure. Eyelets for everything, mud guards, front and rear panniers, water bottles, fuel bottles. I ride mine off of the road all of the time. Rode one around the world in 1990, 35,000km and not one breakdown. Here in the USA, $1200. With the Euro, Pound and all, I am sure you can get one for your price range. If you need to spend a little more, do it, better getting one decent bike than replacing a mediocre one. Also, no matter what type of bike you buy, get one with drop bars. More riding positions equal more comfortable time in the saddle.
  • llerrac
    llerrac Posts: 2
    I had this decision in march, but i also wanted to put the bike in a bag and not a big bag(european by rail travels,no bikes on eurostar cheaply issue).
    Crossed off folders as i weighed 95kg, most say max 100kg.
    Also they normally do not have carrying capability.
    So I looked at S&S.
    I ended up buying a Thorn nomad S&S.

A mistake I think. Possibly as I built the frame up.
    Key reason was, the frame was in a very poor state, i had to re-tap every fitting due to lots of rust. The EBB was extremely well locked into the frame(paint and rust), the S&S took some finessing, it too was rusted stuck. Basically a right pig to build. Luckily I have all the tools. I did phone them up, Robin said 'What did you expect?'. Not that I am afraid. However, i'd fixed everything by then, sandpaper, wire brushes, taps and grease to the fore. Sadly the Rohloff they damaged then is still not quite right, but at least they supplied the parts of it they lost and changed the rear cog for free.
    However, as a bike its extremly good, skinny tyres and rohloff, i have covered 300k in 10 hours 5 mins on(no load). Loaded front and back, you are in control. so I'd say anyone saying 700c for long distance, has not tried 26". The paint work is very good, the brazed on seat bolt(bolt not supplied!) is poor design choice. Still, I have come to like it, it may last a very long time. Racing it on skinny tires, i overtook many a racer boy. as it does give a good riding position. As for the S&S : Bagging it takes 10-20 mins. putting back together 10-15mins.

I have since had my old Salsa A la carte welded back up(the 1990's design, its an MTB frame design in reynolds 853). I also asked for all the extra brazeons one could hope for. It has replaced my cross-check, utterly, runs 700-38c with plenty of space. probs put some cx tyres on it this winter for fast x-country.
    So I would look at taking an old trusted bike(steel) and having it welded up for touring if you found it a good bike. likely cost 2-300 pounds though, with a swanky paint job.

ini general, aluminium is light, but steel last longer and can be repaired. I have gone through a couple of aluminium machines.
  • try the revolution country traveller or country explorer from edinburgh bicycle co-op, the traveller is a great bike and highly recommended by cycling plus magazine, what you are getting for your money is second to none.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    thebigman1 wrote:
    try the revolution country traveller or country explorer from edinburgh bicycle co-op, the traveller is a great bike and highly recommended by cycling plus magazine, what you are getting for your money is second to none.

second that for value for money. Over time, you will probably start upgrading the components, but it is a good bike at a good price.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Who in the UK stocks the Rivendell Rambouillet as they look terrific?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Just use a trailer instead of panniers and get whatever bike you like. Something like the Carry Freedom Y frame would do it - there's a guy on the CTC forum who has used this with his Mercian road bike for LEJOGLE and plenty of other tours with great success.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    alfablue wrote:
    Clip me in wrote:

I don't think the Condor bikes apart from the Heritage will be up to long distance touring, so if you resolve that your fast road bike won't be able to do this then you have a much wider choice of road bikes, nice as those other Condors are.

Maybe the s/h rigid mtb is the answer for touring, only drawback is the heel clearance is often limited on mtb frames, but this can be retrieved by using a rack like the Tubus Logo or Cosmo which have a lower and further rearward pannier mounting rail.

i rode to lands end (600km+) on a agio early spring this year without a rack even though it had eyelets

the agio is an underrated do all bike..

if want a in europe tour bike that stil has race capability the agio is a good bet...

it is not a expedition camping bike...

but who wants to camp?

when i travel touring everything i carry fits into my pockets and one of these
    ortlieb%20saddle%20bag%20l%2006%20med.jpg

wiggle link

all that camping pannier nonsense i gave up pretty quick when touring across europe
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=2956

a couple of these in our ctc club. Seem to be very good do it all bikes. I did a few hundred miles alongside one fully loaded recently, and they do day rides and audaxes .Very good value.
    TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow