What frame size can I get away with?

Dreamstalker
Dreamstalker Posts: 4
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I am buying my first proper road bike after several years of touring, I have found the bike I want on sale only problem is the frame is one size too small for me.

I am just under 6 foot tall and have an inside leg measurement of 83cm, after speaking to several bike shop staff they told me my ideal frame size was 58. The bike on sale is a size 56 so not a big difference and it would save me alot of £££'s.

I was wondering just how a smaller frame might alter how i ride the bike and if its worth holding out till I find one the right size or to go for the bike on sale. I prefer a more aggressive riding posture in general.

Any advice is much appreciated.

(bike in question is a Cube Agree GTC Race, other size available is 62)

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    56 should be fine, you could always fit a longer stem and/or flip the stem.

Get a frame smaller is better than getting a frame too big.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Inside leg measurement of 83cm? I'm 5'7"ish and I'm 80cm and I take a 50/52 ideally.

Ribble recommend inside leg x 0.65, which gives me 52cm. You're pehaps a 54cm going by that, so the 56cm should be fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I,m 5'11" with a 78cm inside leg and thought I was a 56cm frame but after a fitting session at my LBS I came out with a 54cm. All they did was fit a 120mm stem and flipped it, I should think that you would be fine with a 56cm.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Another 5' 11'' person here. I one bike with a 55.5cm top tube and a 11cm stem and another 57cm with a 11cm stem. Both fit fine. therefore 56cm should be spot on for you.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I am 5'9.5" with 33" or 83.7cm inside leg. Guess I have long legs and small body :D
    I am currently ising 58cm which in old money is 22.5" which years ago was what I was measured up for.
    Seems these days they go for much smaller frames, with seat posts like lamposts and long stems, just to save weight?
    I have recently been measured up for new Pinarello and the bars are all in one, no stem, no adjustment ,so I have no idea what size I am getting, what crank lenghts or frame size but I trust them to get it right, hopefully :D
  • redddraggon
    Seems these days they go for much smaller frames, with seat posts like lamposts and long stems, just to save weight?

I don't think weight saving is the largest factor. I think it's more to do with the smaller frames having smaller stiffer triangles and headtubes are shorter meaning you can attain a more aggressive position.

I think it's an Italian thing - the size that fits is the smallest possible (or something like that).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr