Enthusiasm for the commute is waning

pete236
pete236 Posts: 204
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Evening all.

I have unthinkable news! All the enthusiasm I once had for my 12 miles to college 3 days a week commute has drained away! I've felt it ebbing, these last few weeks and now seems to have suffered a complete collapse :( I even used *shudder* the 'car' a few days in the last few weeks!
Is all hope lost? Can it really be that with the coming of decent weather, the legs will have had their last tarmac workout? (Still enjoy a little off road now and then)

Please help! Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want to be in a cage crawling along the motorway but the legs ain't listening!
:cry::cry::cry:

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Give it a rest for a while if you feel like you want to, certainly if your body is tired, seriously take a few weeks off the b ike commute and don't worry abut not wanting to do it again cos you will and you'll enjoy it just as much if not more.

You can get too much of a good thing.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I agree ..After a break your enthusiasm will return !!

Greg
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Take the car!

Take Public Transport!

A few weeks of traffic jams, fighting for car parking etc will remind you just how much more freedom the bike gives, and how little hassle it is comparatively.

Then as a final reminder - check the waist line

I took two weeks off to study and did not leave the house. That combined with supportive eating and I put on an inch and a half!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Great Scott, Cunobelin, are you admitting to measuring your waistline regularly?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    BentMikey wrote:
    Great Scott, Cunobelin, are you admitting to measuring your waistline regularly?

Mikey, not all of us are svelt and gazelle like from spending all day bent or skating...some of us are pear shaped, hence my "which non-lycra shorts" post

Waistline easiest measured using fave pair of trousis, BTW

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • change is as good as a rest, different route perhaps?

Get stuck in a few traffic jams, that'll fix you up.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • BentMikey
    SecretSam wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

Mikey, not all of us are svelt and gazelle like from spending all day bent or skating...some of us are pear shaped, hence my "which non-lycra shorts" post

LOL, it's SO nothing to do with your actual waistline, but with your mental perception of yourself!!!
  • secretsam
    BentMikey wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

LOL, it's SO nothing to do with your actual waistline, but with your mental perception of yourself!!!

So it's a mental perception that following my Easter choc-a-thon, all my trousers are a little tighter!?!?!?!?!?!? :oops: :lol:

There are currently no pies in my house, for I have scoffed THE LOT

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I guess it depends on your commute and the ease of using alternative methods. My commute, for example, is 13 miles. If I use the combination of the train and fold up bike I can get from home to my office desk in 40 minutes. Cycling, with time to change included takes nearer to an hour. Thus I end up leaving home at 8am if I am on the train, and nearer 7:30 if I am on the bike. So in my case I cycle sometimes and get the train sometimes. If I do get the train I'm pretty much guaranteed a seat, which is comfortable, and the train itself is actually not overly ful like many.

You need to look at your commute and look at the alternatives. If it is the best option take a break. If that doesn't work just use an alternative for a while. When I was at university I got to the point where I hated my commute into London so much that it was also affecting my enjoyment of cycling in general. I started working in London soon after university, but didn't commute again by bike for another 10 years, but since then I've never done it more than 2 or 3 days a week so that I continue to enjoy it rather than it being a chore.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I'd suggest a different route. Also if you feel like you don't have enough energy are you eating correctly? What I eat the night evening before has a big affect on my energy levels the next day. More fresh fish, veg and pasta will help.

Don't give up now when the weather is starting to improve.
    It's all good.
  • BentMikey
    SecretSam wrote:
    So it's a mental perception that following my Easter choc-a-thon, all my trousers are a little tighter!?!?!?!?!?!? :oops: :lol:

It's the gentle tease towards being enough of a tart to worry about your waistline. If you're measuring it regularly, the slight insecurity is worth teasing!

Bear in mind I like bibshorts because they hold my tummy in!!!!
  • secretsam
    BentMikey wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

It's the gentle tease towards being enough of a tart to worry about your waistline. If you're measuring it regularly, the slight insecurity is worth teasing!

Bear in mind I like bibshorts because they hold my tummy in!!!!

Sorry, but I'm paranoid about my weight, I used to be bullied at school for being a lard-a$$, so it's a bit of a sore point :cry:

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Pete - know what you mean. I get tired every now again, but then I remind myself of the alternative: train and tube. Sorts me right out. And, now, we have the better weather to look forward to 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jefferee
    jefferee Posts: 80
    If all else fails, just slow down.

It always amazes me how a couple mph can make the difference between feeling refreshed and feeling ready to drop dead, even for my little 6.5 mile commute.
  • Pete236 wrote:
    Evening all.

I have unthinkable news! All the enthusiasm I once had for my 12 miles to college 3 days a week commute has drained away! I've felt it ebbing, these last few weeks and now seems to have suffered a complete collapse :( I even used *shudder* the 'car' a few days in the last few weeks!
    Is all hope lost? Can it really be that with the coming of decent weather, the legs will have had their last tarmac workout? (Still enjoy a little off road now and then)

Please help! Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want to be in a cage crawling along the motorway but the legs ain't listening!

Buy a new bike! :D
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Pete236 wrote:
    Evening all.

Buy a new bike! :D
    ...or at least buy yourself a new something.

After always owning mountain bikes, i bought a 2nd hand road bike for £5 18 months ago and the renewed excitement at riding it got me through winter which i really didn't fancy doing again. Have recently switched back to the mountain bike and kept the enthusiasm.
  • I got that way at the end of last year - maybe coincided with the nights drawing in and the weather turning worse?? Anyway, for me getting a cycle computer helped, and making a note of time and average speed each day. Anal and male I know, but giving yourself something to work against, to focus on, made a big difference. Trying to beat your personal best etc etc. Also, as others have said, change something: a different route, or try a friend's bike for a while. But definitely go with the cycle computer if you haven't got one already.
  • pete236
    Thanks very much for all your replies! Waskind of looking forward to riding this morning with half decent weather and no wind for a change, but it looks like I'll be taking a forced break now anyway! On my way to work (just up the road so not really a commute!) got half way up the road and . . . crrrrrrrrrACK!!! The rear mech threw itself through the back wheel! The mech hanger has snapped in two! Looks like its been bent and then snapped - I guess I didn't check the bike carefully enough after coming off last saturday! Trouble is, its a 6 year entry level bike (Giant Rincon) so I'm too hopeful that I can get hold of a new mech hanger! I can make one if I nick some of my Dads' 1/4" ally but its going to take a while!

Anyways, I digress! Theres' only one real route to College and thats straight down the A4. Looking at maps, Google Earth etc theres no real alternative. Nothing really different enough to make a difference! Cars, tarmac, cars, tarmac, traffic lights, cars . . . but will bear it in mind for the warm mornings later on!
    Just a few weeks ago I got myself a computer which added a little spice - was suprised to average 15mph all the way there despite the long stops in Slough!

Food wise its whatever is in the house at the time! Mainly spuds with cheese and cold meat (if there is any!) is all I've got time for. If I get anything quick easy and healthy my dear sister snaps it up before I get a chance!
    I think that this break will restore some interest - I leave half an hour earlier in the car to get a parking space! Combine this with the fun in bolting it all back together and putting on all the new bits I've got should make it more interesting for a few days at least!

Currently upgrading to discs and XT shifters/ mechs. Got the XT on the rear already (well, I had!) and got shifters and the front mech to go on as well as an Avid Juicy 7 for the front! If I can find one for the rear (2nd hand!) and make up a mounting bracket, i'll get all the xt stuff on. If that doesn't restore enthusiasm I think I'll buy a season ticket for the train!

Thanks again :) Is good to talk things over :)
    All the best!
    Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • pete236
    Well, thats a new mech hanger ordered, along with some new skewers - when the hanger snapped it bent the skewer! Frame looks fine though. Just gotta keep looking for a rear Juicy 7 or 5, then I'll really be happy!