should i bother with a computer for off road riding?

biker24
biker24 Posts: 64
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
should i bother with a computer for off road riding? i use one on road riding but is there much point off road?

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    your choice, depends on the riding discipline.
    if you want info off your ride then yeh
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • obriends
    obriends Posts: 69
    I use one, mainly to show how far and how fast I've been going (or not). Show's improving fitness etc which is the main reason I have one.
    I like to know how far I've gone (still got to go :oops: ). I also use a GPS which tells me how high I am (nice to know why I'm red in the face :lol: ) as well as recording my routes and speeds etc.

Probably not as useful as onewould be for road riding I would guess, just depends if you're a bit of a numbers freak like me :D .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • punkypossum
    punkypossum Posts: 660
    I like to know how far I've gone, not too fussed about speed etc, but still, think it's more fun with a computer...
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    They're also fairly essential for some rides if you don't have GPS for following directions. Its very hard to judge distance off-road especially when you don't know the route.

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Do lots of riders use gps then panter?

I have gps on my XDA Orbit if I had some software to use with it, but don't know how the hell i'd mount it and if it would get trashed?
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I did have a computer but it fell off up Cwmcarn and got squished by a following rider,I haven't bothered replacing it and the only thing I really miss is knowing what distance ive covered and in what time.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    gk141054 wrote:
    Do lots of riders use gps then panter?

I have gps on my XDA Orbit if I had some software to use with it, but don't know how the hell i'd mount it and if it would get trashed?

Yes they do, or the ride leaders do anyway :lol:

Its not something i know much about TBH, I'm just checking out the options at the moment,

It seems the choices are either to use a garmin 205 or 305 with additional software to plan routes (cheap and cheerfull) or go for a full-out unit with maps etc like the Garmin 705 or the new satmap unit.
    Although following directions based on miles is ok, it would be a lot easier to just download the waypoints into a GPS and off you go (carrying a map for backup of course)

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ive never used a computer on my bike, I have one sat in my toolbox but never fitted it. I think i would only use it for distance travelled and nothing else.

Never understood the reason for gps. I can read a map see. I suppose there would be a massive argument for and against, I would rather look at the trail I'm riding and take in the scenery than a gps screen.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's those got to the bottom of the fantastic descent, better get the map out and check where I'm going next moments that degenerate into an O b*gger, should have turned off halfway up moments when the GPS unit really comes into it's own. Flown past a couple of turn offs and pretty quickly realised I'd gone wrong, saved a lot of time pedalling back up.

I still carry a map though and don't find myself staring at the GPS all the way around.

They're definitely good for exploring new routes.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Kimi
    Kimi Posts: 2
    Have you thought about getting a power meter? I know PowerTap now does a mountain bike version

Amanda
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Kimi wrote:
    Have you thought about getting a power meter? I know PowerTap now does a mountain bike version

Amanda

Dont get me wrong, GPS are a good bit of kit, I just think that the art of reading a map and using a compass is fizzling away slowly. What happens when you crash and it gets smashed, or your batteries go?

You can be just as efficent with an OS map and a computer. measure your legs on the map and then use your computer to measure the distance between your legs and if you measure it properly your computer will tell you when your at your turning.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I got myself a cheap wireless one from fleabay.... It comes with a heart monitor thingy too.. I havent used the heart monitor while riding, as I scared myself withit while smoking :shock:

Anyways, they are selling this one in Lidl soon, well worth the money. Took 2 mins to fit, never had a problem.

My next buy will be a GPS unit for the bike, as I like the idea of being able to upload my route. I tend to just ride and see where I go, rather than planning a route. So it would be nice to be able to see where I've gone.
  • Old Dude
    Old Dude Posts: 6
    A cheaper way of measuring your distance might be gmap-pedometer.com - start recording, double click your way around the route. I think that it's meant for runners not riders, but does the same job. Bit of messing about on the pc to get the numbers, but hey, your on the pc anyway posting in here!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    The Gadget Show on Five had a feature on tough GPS devices last night. Never saw the price of the one that won but it looked really good for the great outdoors.

I fancied getting one then had a word with myself like I do with most of their gadgets!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike