where can i get tools cheaply

biker24
biker24 Posts: 64
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
i need most of the basic bike tools does any1 know where i can get them quite cheap
thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CRC and Wiggle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk

good for tools the bike shops don't have like cheap torque wrenches, socket sets, screw drivers, pliers, hammers, vices etc etc.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Big Tesco shops
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    Pippen33 wrote:

Should have asked last week.That toolkit was £35 then. I know because I bought one - despite having half the tools already it was cheaper to buy the kit than the individual stuff I actually wanted.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    poundland sells cheap tools
  • tim158
    tim158 Posts: 4
    I just got the Wiggle set today. £41! I can't sork out how to get my bottom bracket out though.
    You, sir, are a c*nt
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    'Ice Toolz' had an ad in Dirt this month and looked competitivley priced.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Lidl : http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... Pieces.ar8

You will need to check if it's in store @ your local branch, not all have the same offers on.

I have this kit, it's cheap, but does the job.

I got the last one in my store @ 2.30pm on the opening day of the offer, they disappear very fast!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • obriends
    obriends Posts: 69
    Decathlon if you have one close. Tool Kit
    Yup, every one last year seemed impressed with the lidl ones - in store on 07 April...Might get one myself (although I wouldn't have a clue what to do with most of the stuff in it :oops: )
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yup, every one last year seemed impressed with the lidl ones - in store on 07 April...Might get one myself (although I wouldn't have a clue what to do with most of the stuff in it :oops: )

Just have a read of Parktools webby you will soon have an idea of what does what! :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • marmitecp
    marmitecp Posts: 203
    Get the Lidl one next week. Same as the £40 wiggle one. I got last year (was only £15 then) good quality stuff.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    marmitecp wrote:
    Get the Lidl one next week. Same as the £40 wiggle one. I got last year (was only £15 then) good quality stuff.

If the picture on the Lidl site is correct then they are very different. Personally I prefer the Wiggle one but then I was after specific kit that the wiggle one has. (cable cutters, decent BB tool, decent cassette tool, decent crank tool. I have the socket only cassette and crank tools (like this )but the ones in the wiggle lifeline kit are so much nicer to use.

I'm not trying to put anyone off the lidl kit. It is likely to be very good value for money but it does depend what you are after.
  • biker24
    biker24 Posts: 64
    thanks for the advice bought the lidl kit and seems to be good value for money
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I've just bought the Lidl kit too. Looks good, and with each tool costing around 55p, you can't go too far wrong!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I bought the Lidl kit last year and when the icetoolz one in dirt mag is £45 and is *exactly* the same something you gotta laugh
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    I bought one that looks identical to the Lidl one! Got it from St John Street Cycles for £35 or so!
    Only one thing of note - the Allen keys were metric but in a holder with imperial measurements and holes! Still, it does the job!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    biker24 wrote:
    i need most of the basic bike tools does any1 know where i can get them quite cheap
    thanks

I know where you're coming from, but a word of advice. Don't confuse "cheap tools" with "tools, cheap"!

Eh?

Cheap tools rarely last and will either bend or break, damage the part that you're applying them to, and possibly damage you, too. Allen keys are the worst.

I know that you want to get the basics so that you can start doing your own servicing, but buy the very best that you can possibly afford. Park, Ice Tools and even some of Halford's "Bike Hut" tools are pretty good value for money (Halfords "Professional" mechanics tools are excellent and not over expensive - I have a set of their extended combination spanners which I bought over 15 years ago and they're still going great guns). Even some of Shimano's special tools aren't over expensive.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    best place for cheap tools is be friendly with a bike shop and use their tools or work in one :P