Retarded pad removal question

god1406
god1406 Posts: 554
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thoroughly ashamed to have to ask this, but how do I remove the pads on juicy 5's?

They don't share the same mehtod of tool-free removal as my Hayes 9's, and my excellent computer won't download files from websites, so the Sram manual is off-limits :)

Any takers?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get adobe pdf reader then you will be able to see the manual. basically the same as Hayes pads. move to the center and then withdraw. Oh and instructions also come with the new pads :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Have to admit this as the owner of juicy 7 carbons but I own the same pads and removal is same technique as 5's and of most annoying, pull them both in and give them a wiggle, the manual is of no assistance as there is no official method
    spammer
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    cheers.

the Hayes pads come out with hardly any effort and the Juicy's didn't want to budge using the same method. Now I know that's how it's supposed to be done i'll apply a tad more force.

Cheap pads off ebay come with scuffs from when they 'fell out the back of a lorry', but nothing in the way of instructions :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Foxit PDF reader does the same job as Adobe but much smaller.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    from the service manual
    brake pad and h-spring removal
    Using needle-nosed pliers, grab one of the pad
    tabs and slide the pad toward the center of the
    caliper (this disengages the pad backing plate
    from the post in the center of the piston), then
    pull the pad straight out. Repeat for other pad.
    note: if the h-spring doesn’t come out with the
    second pad, push it out from the open top of the
    caliper with a pick or your finger.
    Remove the spring pad clip from the outside of
    the caliper.

manual here http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/dea ... MY08_E.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dohboy78
    Dohboy78 Posts: 172
    They are a bit of a bitch to get out... I used the needle nose pliers technique on my juicy 7s. They popped out with a bit of elbow grease. Keep working at it!