Should i change to clipless pedals

biker24
biker24 Posts: 64
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
just started to ride off road mainly cross country i have a cannondale f5 should i use clipless pedals

Comments

• yes
    Marin Nail Trail with a few modifications...

http://fatmongoose.pinkbike.com/album/Marin/
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I use SPD's for commuting and xc'ing. Its a big benefit on climbs, you don't loose grip and you can pull up as well as push down on the pedals. Once you come accustomed to clipping and out the pedals that is. I still use flats for DH/FR as being clipped in over bigger stuff sounds not for me.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    My only concerns were safety, as in crashing into a car and dying with my bike attached, that concern is no longer necessary. Definitely go clipless.
    spammer
  • biker24
    litwardle
    platforms are ok only just started to ride off road and not sure if using clipless will help or if ill just fall off all the time

also do clipless cope with the mud?
    thanks for the advice
  • Pippen33
    'infact yes, a con, I'm limited to technical, much less confident on the technical otherwise I'd be crazy
    spammer
  • biker24
    thanks for advice
    do u know where i can get pedals and shoes cheaply
    thanks
  • Pippen33
    wiggle.com and chainreactioncycles.com, plenty of choice, cheap, fast and unbelievably quick, usually next day.
    spammer
  • Pippen33
    for shoes http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... TB%20Shoes can personally recommend these, at least the 2005 version and cleats http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... B%20Cleats
    spammer
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Start with a low cost shoe , something like this.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... M1%20Shoes

A basic pedal

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

The cleats come with the pedal but a good way to start is with multi release cleats as you can slacken the pedal off and the cleat will release even with a hard pull upwards.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969

I wont go on about the advantages of been clipped in as when you start to use them you see that for yourself.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Persevere with them too! Start with the spring tension on the pedals slacked right off until you get used to using them. As you get more proficient you can start to tighten the spring tension up. Clipping in and out will become second nature very quickly and you will be able to clip out almost as quickly as lifting your foot off a flat.

You will notice a significant difference when you're climbing and on fast rocky descents as your feet won't get bounced off the pedals.

I've been using SPDs virtually since Shimano introduced them and I've now got to the stage where I find it very difficult to use flats.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    On our Dartmoor ride, the ones falling off a lot (out of 26 of us) were mostly SPD users.

For very technical terrain, flats are the way forward.

The SPD shoes were also very difficult over the rocky river crossing and when we had to hike.

SPDs are great on not very technical distance rides though.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    edited March 2008
    Matteeboy wrote:
    On our Dartmoor ride, the ones falling off a lot (out of 26 of us) were mostly SPD users.

For very technical terrain, flats are the way forward.

The SPD shoes were also very difficult over the rocky river crossing and when we had to hike.

SPDs are great on not very technical distance rides though.

But 80% of the riders were using clipless.

There were also a fair few fallers using flats & you have to admit the terrain was more technical than average.

I tested a road bike on Saturday. It was the first time I've used flats for quite some time.
    I can't say I really noticed a great change to pedaling efficiency etc when I started using clipless, but I really noticed the difference without them.

With clipless you tend to start the pedal stroke about 10 o'clock and pull the pedal over the 12 o'clock position.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Matteeboy
    Hmmm - I just don't like SPDs thats all :wink:

And non SPDs gripped the river bed better anyway.

As this is in the beginners section, I reckon it would be better to suss out skills without SPDs then decide.

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069

I don't actually have any problems walking (or pushing) in SPDs with either of my pairs of boots. Pushed all the way up Walna Scar road last Thursday :oops: with no major problems (1500ft of straight up on a boulder strewn path). As long as the cleats are resonably well recessed I don't have any issues. Personally I never ride without them, biggest problem I have is clipping in on the technical stuff, but once in I feel way more secure. It is personal preference but you need to practice before you're ready to say no they're not for me. If that's the conclusion then fine, you know what works for you.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Matteeboy
    edited March 2008
    Stumpy - I used them for over two years on my old Stumpy.

I just didn't get on with them and get plenty of grip with V8s - I use semi "normal" Shimano SPD type shoes without cleats on flats as I do like stiff soles though.

Andy, who had normal trainers on, was definitely finding it a lot easier walking over the stepping stones.

• litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    biker24 wrote:
    litwardle
    platforms are ok only just started to ride off road and not sure if using clipless will help or if ill just fall off all the time

also do clipless cope with the mud?
    thanks for the advice

Reason I ask is because I love my platforms. If you get a really good set and then some nice "tacky" shoes then the grip is superb. Wist clipless you can obviously put a more rounded power down as your not just putting energy into a down stroke your pulling up as well. This will help for that "rear tyre spinning in the mud" on an accent. However, if you have a good smooth pedeling technique you should be able to overcome that with platforms.
  • litwardle
    Matteeboy wrote:
    As this is in the beginners section, I reckon it would be better to suss out skills without SPDs then decide.

I agree.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I Ride platform,

1 reasons, i will crash
    2 I think it takes skill to hop over obsticles and all on flts compared to spd's it makes me feel a more all round rider
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Matteboy

fair comment, the point I was trying to make (probably badly) is that you need to keep at it with SPDs(which is obviously what you've done) before deciding you prefer flats. I love my SPDs, but then again I'm probably not the most daredevil rider out there so the whole being clipped in and crashing big time doesn't worry me much (maybe it should :?: :shock: ).

Most riders seem to fall into one camp or the other with regard to clipless pedals and the only way someone knows where their preference lies is to try both. Both systems have pros and cons.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I find using grippy shoes, 5 10s and v8 pedals gives me a huge amount more grip than the standard pedals and cheap shoes. Really don't fancy being clipped in, seen one of my mates falling (badly once) with the bike attached to him to try it off road.

I have just put a set on my road bike. Word of warning - if you have big feet check you can fully turn the wheel without it getting stuck on your toe. I never tested this and have the scab on my knee to teach me the lesson :lol:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Can't say I've ever had a crash due to not being able to clip out. No harm in trying it out for a while. Plus i'm personally not too bothered as I use flats and spds.
  • I'd been using toeclips for many years, and went over to clipless pedals a few weeks ago. Only had one fall so far, and that was a comedy stationary fall. Being clipped in has taught me better balance, has improved my ability tovlet the bike move under me over the rough stuff, and has encouraged me to pedal through or over the stuff that otherwise would have me touching a foot down. I'm still getting used to them, and clipping in on from a stationary start on steep or technical stuff still takes a few revolutions, so I'm glad I went for Smartys with a small platform, rather than straight eggbeaters.

As for mud, these pedals collect far less, don't seem to get gunged up, and help me pedal throug hthe deep stuff smoothly, so I think the are definitely a benefit in the mud. Try them if you get a chance!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • litwardle
    I like an SPD to have a small platform. The amount of time you "nip to the shops" or whatever and need a platform. Still my vote is for the spikey platform and grippy shoes. :wink: Makesa mess of your shins should you slip though which obviously can't happen with SPD's!

Lee