My chain keeps on snapping. Similar experiences?

Dai_bach
Dai_bach Posts: 16
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Hi,

Today is the third time in just over a month that a link on my chain has snapped or the rivet pulled through the plate. It's getting a little ridiculous now and slightly dangerous as it tends to happen when I'm pulling away from a junction. Has anyone out there repeadedly had this kind of problem? If so, what was your solution? Is there one?

I'm using a 105 10 speed groupset, so the chain is the super narrow type. I'm not a very aggressive rider. I weigh 14 1/2 stones but can't imagine that I'm putting down enough force to snap the chain when there are professional riders using similar kit whose thighs are twice the size of mine!

Help! Many thanks,
Dai

Comments

• GuyGadois
    GuyGadois Posts: 37
    Dai, who is installing the chain? Other than a bad install I con only think the pressure you are putting on the pedals is more than a chain can take. I would seek out a stronger chain or plan on downshifting more near a junction or lastly entering a world's competition ;-)

Guy
    Creator of ProLog Cycling 2011 (also 2010, 2009 & 2008) - Excel based cycling log for avid cyclists
    http://www.ProLogCycling.com
  • Dai_bach
    Dai_bach Posts: 16
    I've been installing the chain myself. It's a "missing link" type. Today, the missing link itself went. In the past, however, it's been links in the middle of the chain. What is the strongest chain that can be bought?
  • GuyGadois
    GuyGadois Posts: 37
    I would have it installed by a local bike store if t has broken in the past (like yours). I use campy and the record chain is stellar but won't work in your case. I would venture down to your store and buy it there and get it installed at no charge.
    Creator of ProLog Cycling 2011 (also 2010, 2009 & 2008) - Excel based cycling log for avid cyclists
    http://www.ProLogCycling.com
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I hope you are not still using the same chain.......

Never had a chain snap in 22 years....get a new chain, and get a good one £15-£20
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    Chain breakages are more common now with 9 and 10 speed chains because they are narrower and have to work across more acute angles, often under considerable pressure. What happens is that over time the side plates work loose on the rivets. Age is therefore a major factor in chain breakages and if a chain breaks once then it will break again. Don't buy cheap chains, replace them regularly and don't reuse a chain that has broken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on what gear combos you're running too - wide chainline angles put excessive side-pressure on your chain and will lead to quicker failure - particularly if riding at a slow cadence on uphills.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You want a 3/16" carrier bike chain :lol: Won't work on the gearing but you won't snap it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    KMC have a good reputation, I'm still on 9 speed,but after I snapped my SRAM 9 speeder at the joining link I posted on Fixed Gear Fever (forum for trackies with world wide readership/members) and the consensus (sp....it's late) is that 9 and 10 speed chain are getting a bit weak for fat boys doing standing starts on, so some riders are no longer doing said workouts on their roadie bikes, rather on a road fixie or sticking with 8 speed transmissions.

Your situation suggest bad assembly tho'.... also chains don't (usually) break when being pulled in a nice straight line, so the next question, is do you flex the frame enough to cause gear shifting when you pull away from the lights? if so, nailing the chain in mid shift is more likely to break it...
    YMMV,
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.