Long travel hradtails?

saintadolf
saintadolf Posts: 245
edited November 2008 in MTB general
thinking of getting a longer travel hardtail (5-6 inchs) but dunno what to get.
thought of the obvious ones like saracen zen and the marin with the vanilla forks. but i want something a bit different.
ps.
can you still get hold of last years santa cruz chameleon?
06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)

Comments

• Cotic BFe fitted with Pikes.

Here's mine

Sideon.jpg

Take a look in the latest issuse of Single Track for a review of it, I think it the dogs bollox
  • saintadolf
    saintadolf Posts: 245
    thats pretty sweet how much it set you back?
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    see if you can get hold of a kinesis pha5e.
  • 24 seven dviant elite, looks better in black i think.
    http://www.24sevenbikes.com/mainpage.html

got the vanillas...
    Me like trials biking me do
  • saintadolf wrote:
    The wife thinks it was a straight swap for my 2 year old Speck XC pro :oops:

I didn't tell her about the extra grand I had hidden away :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    on one 456 (ideally in Ti if you're minted!)
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I'd recommend the Marin Rocky Ridge... with 5.5" Vanillas :)
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    If I was buying a new one it would be a Marin Rocky Ridge, Cove Hummer or a Ti On-One 456. Currently I have this Orange Evo, it's a cracker.

001.JPG
  • cotic BFe :mrgreen:

[url=ttp://www.cotic.co.uk/]ttp://www.cotic.co.uk/[/url]
    Dreaming of a Flowing, Downhill, Singletrack, Double jumping, Hardtail paradise
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Orange P7 is another possibilty, although there are issues with the dropouts.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    saintadolf wrote:
    The wife thinks it was a straight swap for my 2 year old Speck XC pro :oops:

I didn't tell her about the extra grand I had hidden away :wink:

John, I'm seriously considering a BFe for my next bike. Just wondered how you rate yours, and what you use it for. I'm ideally looking for an all-day ride, probably using Pikes like your good self, but with more of an all-mountain setup (probably double and bash chainrings, big discs, etc.)

I tend to let it hang out a bit on the downhills and I'm just wondering if the BFe might be better than a Soul.

Also, what sort of all-up weight is yours?

Sorry for so many questions but I really do like the look of the BFe!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ride_whenever
    Definately get a BFe or a 456 for that sort of riding then.
  • on one 456 (ideally in Ti if you're minted!)

totally agree! the new Ti 456 is due to get a perfect 10 in the next WMB. Tested with Coil Pikes- check it out http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=772

Although, for the price you could get the steel frame and build it up sweet for the price of the Ti frame. I'll not likely be able to afford a grand for a frame any time soon, but even if I could I'd question if it was £850, or 6.6 times better!

I've got the steel 456 with RS Psylo's- will swap for revelations or Pike's soon and It's going to be everything you'd need for 99% of UK riding.
  • ride_whenever
    Put the air pikes on the 456. It is ridiculously sweet, and it climbs effortlessly.

Or if you have a bit more the a stiffee is an obvious choice!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    You will not be disappointed with an Orange Crush!

pbpic1768907.jpg
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    how come no one has suggested the ultimate hardcore hardtail - Cove Stiffee. duh!
  • dave_hill
    The clue's in the name - Stiffee.

I'm afraid that my old bones won't cope with an aluminium frame of Stiffee proportions these days. I've always been a big fan of steel hardtail frames anyway because of the way that they ride.

Plus, do the math - £549 for a Canadian frame built with Taiwanese aluminium. Or £420 for a British frame built with British steel tubing. At a time when aluminium is about 2/3 the price of steel it just doesn't add up...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • PJ266
    PJ266 Posts: 4
    admittedly, the cove is expensive, but it is handmade in canada, that is where the cost difference is made. the £420 frame you are talking about (cotic bfe??) is made in taiwan. so, it does make sense.

oh, i own a stiffee, and highly reccomend it, its not as bone shakingly stiff as you would think, whack a big tyre in the back and its plenty comfortable
  • who says building stuff in Canada is better any way.

Has any one actually seen the factories in Taiwan? Very good, and very efficient .

I know what you are saying though, i Just think peoples conceptions of factories in the far east are very, very wrong.
  • PJ266
    PJ266 Posts: 4
    you misunderstand me, i never said being built in canada was better, i said it is more expensive. there is probably no difference in quality, but canadian workers get paid much more than taiwanese workers, hence the price increase on the finished products.
  • :D
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    I've got an orange p7 - the drop out issue was a problem with one test bike which had been assembled incorrectly. I'm a 15 stone hard riding burly southerner and my drop outs havent budged in 9 months of thrashing.

But I also think the One -One 456 is an awesome frame, I have one waiting to be built up, so I can compare back to back witht he Orange..
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    I have just bought a P7 & am loving it!

I have had too many years in comfort with a mount vision!
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    Pointless addint this to the thread but what about an Orange Subzero?
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    +1 for the P7... Had mine for a while now, no problem with the dropouts.
  • Genesis do a long travel steel hardtail called the Alpitude. Looks really nice
    And the altitudes with slightly less travel
  • i have a dmr exalt with totems on it :lol: i no abit extreme but owell. just waiting for them frame to give in as it gets ridden hard then definatley upgrade to a stiffee or an evil
    Go big or go home!!

dmr exalt
    fitbike team park bmx
    both my custom jobbys :D:D
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2915789/
  • dave_hill
    jacktheoc wrote:
    Pointless addint this to the thread but what about an Orange Subzero?

Cracking bike, got one myself but they're definitely better pointed downhill or at the bike park. Pretty heavy and very slack geometry makes climbing hills a pain (although not impossible if you're patient), but it's an absolute hoot to ride when you get in pointed in the same direction as gravity and swoopyness!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Orange evo? Here's a picture of mine built up. PS the (medium) frame is now for sale, I'm cutting me own throat, £150 +delivery including an almost new hope headset :)

bike5.jpg
  • Cotic BFe fitted with Pikes.

Here's mine

Sideon.jpg

Take a look in the latest issuse of Single Track for a review of it, I think it the dogs bollox
    Aw thats nice 8) Looks like similar geometry to the 456?