Valve hole

davecooper
davecooper Posts: 290
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Just fitted rim tape to new wheels. It was the Specialized stretchy plastic type which I found surprisingly fiddly to fit as the valve holes kept going out of alignment. Used a small bolt to keep them lined up in the end. Anyway, I noticed that the hole in the tape goes oval once fitted due to stretching and the sharp edges of the rim hole are exposed. Is it best to use a bit of PVC tape etc and push the valve stem through it to ensure the tube is protected from the rim? Any tips.

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Done exactly the same as yourself in the past but with black sellotape and had no probs at all.
    Brian B.
  • davecooper
    davecooper Posts: 290
    Thanks for that. It seemed like a bit of a silly question but I have had a lot of problems in the past with tubes failing at this point and want to try to prevent this from the outset. I may even take the rim tape off again and tape over the hole first.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Sorry for the Necrothread.

Does anyone have a method of aligning the bloody stretchy rim tape once on. I have a chopstick shoved in holding this schwalbe stuff in position, but having trouble aligning precisely in the rim to cover the spoke holes. Anyone got a way of doing this?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    i just shove with fingers

is the tape the correct width? if it's too narrow it's hard to align to cover the spoke holes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny