My totally stupid but wonderful wife

geoff_ss
geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
edited April 2008 in The bottom bracket
It was wet windy and not very warm today. It's also our 41st wedding anniversary. So what did she do? She rode a 150km audax covering a total of 98 miles including the ride to the start (I gallantly took the car on a rare outing to fetch her from the finish as it was pouring with rain). She wasn't very fast but finished several hours inside the time limit despite a puncture.

Me? I rode up to the airfield to see a man about a power supply, fully intending to extend the ride. Instead I chickened out and rode straight back home in the rain covering a very modest 50 km.

I feel both proud and humble. We celebrated with fish and chips and a bottle of very acceptable red Bordeaux. I couldn't expect her to cook after that :twisted:

Geoff
Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Fish 'n' Chiops with vinegar :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Me? I rode up to the airfield to see a man about a power supply...

Geoff

Im aware of the euphemism "seeing a man about a dog", but this one above....the mind boggles :?
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    Congratulations Geoff on your wifes victory. Completeing something like that is victory in and of itself, even if she wasn't in pole posistion. I admire people who can ride for hours. I'll be one of them soon.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Riding in rain rules, topped only by a fresh 18" snowfall. Kudos to your bride.
  • geoff_ss
    4kicks wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

Im aware of the euphemism "seeing a man about a dog", but this one above....the mind boggles :?

I bought a mains power supply for my battery charger on eBay. The seller happened to be a member of my model aeroplane club. I fly a number of battery powered model planes as well as charging camera/radio batteries.

Geoff
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

I bought a mains power supply for my battery charger on eBay. The seller happened to be a member of my model aeroplane club. I fly a number of battery powered model planes as well as charging camera/radio batteries.

Geoff

well done to your wife.

If you are in Derbyshire and fly model planes do you use the little strip next to the Cricket ground on top of the hill? I can't remember what it's called (maybe Alderwasley), but I sometimes used to drive that way through to Wirksworth when I worked in Matlock, I'm sure there was a nearby pub called the Puss in Boots.
  • geoff_ss
    hammerite wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

Geoff

well done to your wife.

If you are in Derbyshire and fly model planes do you use the little strip next to the Cricket ground on top of the hill? I can't remember what it's called (maybe Alderwasley), but I sometimes used to drive that way through to Wirksworth when I worked in Matlock, I'm sure there was a nearby pub called the Puss in Boots.

No, that's Alport club and they don't fly next to the cricket ground - they fly FROM the cricket ground which makes flying times a bit restricted in the cricket season. The nearest pub is the Bear Inn but there is a Puss and Boots about 5 miles away. I fly at Ashbourne.

Geoff
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Geoff_SS wrote:

No, that's Alport club and they don't fly next to the cricket ground - they fly FROM the cricket ground which makes flying times a bit restricted in the cricket season. The nearest pub is the Bear Inn but there is a Puss and Boots about 5 miles away. I fly at Ashbourne.

Geoff

Ah ok, just curious! Not been up that way for a few years.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    The Puss in Boots ....its hard to leave when you can't find the door. :oops: :shock:
    bagpuss