I'm confused about the Mavic Ksyrium range

EdHarris
EdHarris Posts: 81
edited March 2008 in Workshop
I'm considering getting a wheel upgrade for my bike and am persuaded by most of Mavic's Ksyrium wheels, but there are so many versions of them and I don't understand what the difference between them is. For instance I've seen SSC SL Elite and probably others. I considering second-hand as well so discontinued models might complecate things as well.

Could some one please explain the differences? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't bother with the Ksyriums, get some Fulcrum or Campagnolo wheels.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are three basic models, the Ksyrium Equipe, Elite and SLs/SSC. The SL's/SSC s are the most distinctive due to their fat aluminium alloy spokes whereas the others use steel. Difference is mainly down to rim weight - the same rim, but more is machined off in the top models, the spoke materials and the hub materials. All are reliable and well-built - the key difference being lighter weight and materials. There are plenty of other wheels available in these price brackets too - whereas the SL/SSC lead the way in 1999, plenty of others have caught up
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    The other thing worth pointing out is that Mavic Ksyriums are so ubiquitous that coming by spare parts is very easy, almost up there with conventional hand built wheels. Most bike shops in many European countries will carry spares for Ksyriums as standard, although Fulcrum and other are becoming more popular spare parts may have to be ordered.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071

Thats a handy response to the question 8)
    Brian B.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Ksyriums are like blue jeans... their omnipresence + unlimited variations turn some people off buying them.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I'm 15 stone and fairly powerful, and run Ksyrium Elites on my road bike for mainly cosmetic reasons. I do have spare spokes for them and the metal mavic spoke key but, thankfully, have never needed to touch them Their bombproof reputation has been borne out here.

I have previously owned a pair of the original Ksyrium SSCs from when they were all the rage when Lance was using them around 2000. They had alloy spokes but were also very reliable.
  • i bought some elites last week - got a bargain from my LBS - i looked at zondas (too hard to source with shimano freehub) and fulcrum 3s (too expensive @ £350ish - please dont tell me you can get them for £300 somewhere :( ) so plumped for the elites. they look the mutts nuts in my opinion, and they perform solidly and quickly so no complaints from me.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    at least hes honest
    Brian B wrote:

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    z000m wrote:
    at least hes honest
    Brian B wrote:

But that's hardly useful is it?

There's nothing wroing with Ksyriums at all, my own pair of SLs are nearly five years old and still going strong, never going out of true or breaking a spoke. Doubtful if Campag or Fulcrums would last as long, especially with the abuse I have dished out on them.

Maybe redddraggon has had expeience of Ksyriums I don't know, but the bottom line is if you haven't had experience of a product, how can you comment on them?
  • robbarker
    the bottom line is if you haven't had experience of a product, how can you comment on them?]

Welcome to cycling forums - a lot of it goes on.
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    Thank you for your responses, the reason why I was particularly interested in the Ksyriums is because I see so many of them around, so people do think that they are good and I assumed with them being so popular I could get them fixed pronto should I need to.

For those of you who arn't too keen on the Ksyrium's(!) I've narrowed my choices down to Fulcrum 5, Kysrium Elite or Easton Vista. I'll also get a nice set of tyres and tubes. Does anyone have recommendations for tubes: I guess they're often overlooked compared to the tyres and the wheels.

Cheers
  • robbarker
    Michelin Aircomp latex if you want the fastest and plushest ride. They do lose pressure though so pump them up before every ride.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    have you considered campag shaml's or campag Eurous (sp) they are meant to be good wheels.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Thought I would join in on this post as I have also been thinking of getting a pair of Ksyrium Elites mainly because I've had mavic rims (all be it bottom of the range) in the past and they seem pretty strong and have lasted.

What concerns my slightly and why I haven't bought a pair yet is if you buy a pair of £300 rims on-line you don't get any sort of after sales service.

The other option is to source a good local wheel builder who can build you a pair to your exact specification. This means of course that you can go back and get them fixed if they go out of true or you snap a spoke.

Decisions decisions!!!
    It's all good.
  • Steveorow
    Steveorow Posts: 162
    Have ran Ksyrium Elites for 18 months . Good wheel and bomb proof however was looking for something a little lighter and more responsive . Went to the LBS ( Dooleys in Paisley ) talked it over with them and ended up buying Bontrgaer Race X lites . Reduce from £499 ( which was original budget ) to £279 and they threw in 2 Pro Race 3s and rim tapes for another £40 .
    After about 300 miles on the Bontrgaers they feell much better in every way . They spin up quicker ; roll better and feel seem to make climbing easier ; they use DT swiss componenets so no prob aboout replacement parts Im no light weight .
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    Am I a lucky b**s**d or what?? My wife's been saving some overtime money, and bought me a pair of kysyrium sl premiums yesterday!!. Haven't ridden themyet, just sit in the garage and look at them!!
  • mdg1157 wrote:
    Am I a lucky b**s**d or what?? My wife's been saving some overtime money, and bought me a pair of kysyrium sl premiums yesterday!!. Haven't ridden themyet, just sit in the garage and look at them!!
    i would say she's a keeper.... :P
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    aww, I dunno. How much would you get for her on the 2nd hand market?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    For anyone considering Ksyrium Elites, cheapest I could find when I had a look around 2 months ago was CRC at £260
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23257