Where can I get an Audax frame hand built in Italy?

JimD
JimD Posts: 11
edited April 2008 in Workshop
As it's my 50th birthday this year I have decided to treat myself to a new frame. I had decided upon a Condor Fratello as best suited to my requirements - day rides, light weekend touring and fun to ride around town. Further research has enlightened me to the benefits of acquiring a custom made frame. I have looked at many UK framebuilders who offer audax style frames. However, they do all seem rather traditional in the styling - nothing wrong with that but I'd prefer something a bit more 'italian'. Can anybody suggest an Italian framebuilder (in northrn italy) who could offer an audax style frame?

From my research on the internet Italian builders only seem to cater for full on racing frames. I'll be holidaying in Northern Italy soon and I thought it would be a great opportunity to acquire my dream machine.

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Perogetti. Youll have to win him over to get mudguard eyes though...
  • JimD wrote:
    As it's my 50th birthday this year I have decided to treat myself to a new frame. I had decided upon a Condor Fratello as best suited to my requirements - day rides, light weekend touring and fun to ride around town. Further research has enlightened me to the benefits of acquiring a custom made frame. I have looked at many UK framebuilders who offer audax style frames. However, they do all seem rather traditional in the styling - nothing wrong with that but I'd prefer something a bit more 'italian'. Can anybody suggest an Italian framebuilder (in northrn italy) who could offer an audax style frame?

From my research on the internet Italian builders only seem to cater for full on racing frames. I'll be holidaying in Northern Italy soon and I thought it would be a great opportunity to acquire my dream machine.
    You know the Fratello has an Italian frame, right? Dedacciai. So they might do something.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    An audax frame implies a certain 'relaxed' geometry which an 'Italian' frame whatever that may be is not going to give you. Italian frames have traditionally different angles more suitable for racing. Pegoretti will build something but it won't be cheap -£1000+ and as mentioned above he prob. doesn't 'do' rack mounts/guard eyes etc

why not just buy a Fratello or a Roberts or something in Ti from eg Enigma or VN
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You have scores of options regarding audax frames in the UK. Ti wise you have Enigma, VN and Burls to name but three,

But an American living and running a business in Italy would be Darren Crisp, who after talking with him one time, I know would hand build you a ti frame with audax features. Very nice bloke and someone I am sure would accommodate you. In fact i went to him with the same criteria.

http://www.crisptitanium.com
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Dedacciai is a frame tubing manufacturer, like Reynolds. They don't make frames that aren't carbon fibre. There are loads of frame builders in northern Italy, most of whom are presumably not good at writing websites ;)

In terms of audax type bikes, I bet Simoncini and Faggin would do.
    http://www.faggin.de/seiten/produktseiten/uomo.html

Or you could try and find a Pinarello Sestriere (don't recall the geometry on that, but it did have mudguard clearances).

Does anybody know who builds Condors' frames?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Aren't Condor's steel frames made in Italy anyway? There are a number of Italian makers still building in steel - Scapin, Tomassini or Bertoletti for example who will probably all do custom to your requirements.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Most Italian builders will build a frame to your specification. In the north I'd consider Casati in Monza, Grandis in Verona or Billato near Venice.
  • acorn_user wrote:
    Dedacciai is a frame tubing manufacturer, like Reynolds. They don't make frames that aren't carbon fibre. There are loads of frame builders in northern Italy, most of whom are presumably not good at writing websites ;)

In terms of audax type bikes, I bet Simoncini and Faggin would do.
    http://www.faggin.de/seiten/produktseiten/uomo.html

Or you could try and find a Pinarello Sestriere (don't recall the geometry on that, but it did have mudguard clearances).

Does anybody know who builds Condors' frames?
    Oh, I see what you mean. It's Dedacciai steel but not put together by Dedacciai?
  • JimD
    JimD Posts: 11
    My thanks to you all for very helpful responses.

I know that the Fratello is built in Italy, but if I believe what I read in various articles and on forums such as this, a fitted hand built frame will give a far superior ride. Does anybody happen to know who builds the Fratello for Condor? (its made from dedacciai 14.5 tubing).

Many Thanks
    Jim
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    I second Marco Bertoletti http://www.mbbike.it/inglese/ - and he's based in Northern Italy
    Wouldnt it be a lot of faff sorting it from italy ? Ok you can order when you are there - but do you really want your new baby posted thru to you ? I would rather have a custom british frame but having had a few of those already - i think i prefer the off the peg carbon frames. Cheaper and comfier.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Aren't Condor's steel frames made in Italy anyway? There are a number of Italian makers still building in steel - Scapin, Tomassini or Bertoletti for example who will probably all do custom to your requirements.

Yeah Condor's steel frames are and their carbon ones that are based on tubesets (hand wrapped) are too
  • JimD wrote:
    My thanks to you all for very helpful responses.

I know that the Fratello is built in Italy, but if I believe what I read in various articles and on forums such as this, a fitted hand built frame will give a far superior ride. Does anybody happen to know who builds the Fratello for Condor? (its made from dedacciai 14.5 tubing).

Many Thanks
    Jim

Condor's Classico is custom built to order by their Italian frame builders :

http://www.condorcycles.com/classico.html

so they may well be able do something more along the lines of a Fratello.
  • Bern.
    Bern. Posts: 58
    Hi JimD,

Just to clarify. The Fratello is handmade in Italy with Dedacciai steel tubes.

Custom geometry is available, but this can take a long time compared to stock frames.
    Our builder uses the geometry we specify, there is no standard 'Italian' geometry as far as I know. I have seen huge differences with builders own geometry charts.

Depending on sizing, you may or may not require custom sizing or geometry anyway. I have used many custom frames, but now find that I am happy enough on a stock size. Our custom frames are quite a small proportion of our overall sales and our sales staff don't push custom if it is not necessary or of benefit to the customer. Of course if it is essential then they will advise on the best options.

You may also somethimes get a better fitting frame, but not neccessarily a superior ride.
    The most important thing is that you are nicely balanced on the bike, depending on what you want to get out of it and what you want to use it for. A good starting point is a discussion with an expert to see what your options are.
    BERNIN RUBBER