Small accomplishment... big grin

Gareth
Gareth Posts: 9,944
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
4 Years of no riding (and no other exercise), fitness non-existent, I took my little 9 speed 13" hardtail out this morning with one mission in mind. To ride to the top of Pole Hill in Chingford.

I was out of breath just riding to the hill. Which is just under a mile away from my home... So this wasn't looking good. My fitness levels are atrocious.

I started off well, in about 7th gear (can't remember the ratios but 1st gear is 36 tooth front ring and 32 on the cassette so not too bad). I kept my head down, and concentrated on the ground in front of me, I wasn't prepared to look up the hill and be put off.

The ground was a wet compacted red gravel, not very loose, the tyres rolled well, and showed little in the way of resistance. Reasonably flat, I decided to lock out the marzocchi front forks, slamming them down into their stancions, they locked out, the front end was now lowered and I was in hill attack mode.

Few minutes (felt like hours) later I'm around half way up, I'm in 3rd gear, I'm out of breath and my legs are aching... I had to concentrate... breath in through the nose, out through the mouth... clicked into 2nd gear... here comes the steep bit.... 1st gear now... No more luxary of easier gears for me.

It's getting progressively steeper the closer I get to the top. As I over-taked a walker, I got up out of the saddle and started to pound the pedals, I'm gasping in huge gulps of air at this point, can feel my heart racing as I sprint for the top, so close now... because I'm standing up now with no weight on the rear tyre I can feel the wheel slip as I leave the wet fire road and it the clay like mud near the top. The slipping wheel makes me lose my rhythm, but I'm there, I've made it to the top and I can't breathe. My lungs are on fire and my legs are wobbly like Jelly.

I'm buzzing with adrenaline and can't stop grinning. I'm loving it... and then I see the sign...

"No cycling"

hahaha I couldn't care less, and after 5 minutes of catching my breathe, I belt back down the hill as fast as I can bunny hopping the puddles.

:D