Home Insurance

jusgray
jusgray Posts: 154
edited March 2008 in MTB general
Just out of curiosity is my bike when locked up outside covered on my home insurance if its stolen as I live in an undesirable estate?

Comments

• It would probably depend on your type of policy and also the value of your bike. Some insurers will ask for expensive items to be specifically recorded on the policy as they have maximum payouts on single items. For example, my guitar is a named item on my contents insurance as an item of specific value - the insurance costs a little more for such items. However, being outside may be a very different matter. You'll have to contact the insurer to check your specific policy details.
  • More Than said mine was covered anywhere within my home boundary, which included being locked up in the garden/shed etc. You'd need to check with your insurer though.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    From experience,

Your bike will probably be covered by your contents insurance whilst it is within the boundaries of your home. Whilst inside your actual building/garage/shed it is probably insured to its full value. In the garden there may well be a limit for theft claims.

To insure the bike whilst its off your property you will probably need to take an extra section of cover "Pedal Cycles" the insurer I am with will insure up to £1500, but thats with a £100 XS.

Make sure there are no terms reagrding the bike being locked up, whilst in the garden or outside the house, and left unattended.

And most home insurers will probably deduct wear and tear from the value of the payout of your bike, whereas the other stuff (apart from clothes) will be on a new for old replacement basis.