Chain/Block question

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
edited March 2008 in Workshop
I brought a copy of Zinns book and read up on Shimano 10sp chains but I wonder if things have changed.

It says in the book that you use an over long pin to join the chain & snap a bit off when it's in.

My bike has an Ultegra 6600 chain and it seems to have a SRAM type master link.

When I buy a replacement chain how do I reduce its length and keep the master link in place?

ALso; when I tighten the block lock ring it has a knotchy feel as I tighten it; is that normal and if so how hard should I tighten it?

regards,

Rick

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When you buy a replacement chain, it usually comes with a new link - for a couple of quid it's worth replacing it anyway. There are serrations on the back of the lockring so it will feel notchy - torque is in excess of 40Nm which is a good concerted effort - there's no way you'd damage the thread or components anyway unless you start brandishing a scaffolding pole as an extension lever!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • musto_skiff
    In Zinns book to dosn't mention the master link thinghy; is it out of date?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My Zinn book talks about master links and other brand variants.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Has someone put in a master link at some time? There are several on the market which are supposed to be suitable for Shimano and other brand chains.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd Echo Gerry's query

The chap at Evans "suggested" an SRAM 9 speed link in my Ultegra 10 spd chain, but he was distinctly wafty about giving me a firm "yes this'll work" I shied away from buying it until someone can give me a definitive answer.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    yes the 9 speed link will fit on a 10 speed chain, but I suspect there's more chance of it buggering up in the cogs as it's ever so slightly wider.

I mounted an 8 speed master link on one of my 9 speed MTBS, forgot about it, and the chain screwed up way too early with many stiff links. I never figured out why. It might have been that, might have been something else. :?
  • musto_skiff
    I had a compact chain set fitted by my LBS; before that the chain was almost new.

Should they not have fitted it?
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    Attica

I wouldn't use a 9 speed powerlink on the 10 speed chain, but KMC make 10 speed joining links:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031117&n=KMC%2010%20Speed%20Chain%20Links

I would recommend KMC / SRAM joining links very highly. Make fitting a new chain simple, and easy to carry for emergency repairs should you be unfortunate enough to suffer a chain break, as happened to one of my friends yesterday.
  • musto_skiff
    MartinJ wrote:
    Attica

I wouldn't use a 9 speed powerlink on the 10 speed chain, but KMC make 10 speed joining links:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031117&n=KMC%2010%20Speed%20Chain%20Links

I would recommend KMC / SRAM joining links very highly. Make fitting a new chain simple, and easy to carry for emergency repairs should you be unfortunate enough to suffer a chain break, as happened to one of my friends yesterday.

That looks like the kind of thing I have on my chain ...