Stripping Paint

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning All

Hope everyone is feeling the Saturday love buzz 8)

I'm looking to respray the chain stays on one of my bikes and was going to do this myself, is it OK to use something like Nitro Mors for this?

While I'm at it, is it OK to use say ordinary car lacquer over the top to finish it off?
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    thaks the way i've always done it and with no problems for the last 15 years.
    Only thing is that home sprayed frames always chip easly.
  • stayhigh65 wrote:
    I'm looking to respray the chain stays on one of my bikes and was going to do this myself

Can I just say a big NO here??

Nick and SS will give you all sorts of valid reasons why you shouldn't do it,and they're right.
    I will just say,it'll look shyte,you'll never get the same finish and it'll last about 2 minutes.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stayhigh65 wrote:
    Morning All

Hope everyone is feeling the Saturday love buzz 8)

I'm looking to respray the chain stays on one of my bikes and was going to do this myself, is it OK to use something like Nitro Mors for this?

While I'm at it, is it OK to use say ordinary car lacquer over the top to finish it off?

If you're going to do it yourself, yes Nitromors is fine. A decent wire brush will make life easier too. Eye protection and possibly gloves too are definite plusses.

Take your time and choose your paint carefully. Halfords car spray is pants. I've found the best to be PlastiKote "Rust Not" followed by Hammerite clear lacquer.

Once you've stripped the paint off, prep your surface like mad. Wire wool then finer and finer grades of wet-and-dry down to about 240 grit.

Mask off the bits that you don't want to paint (newspaper and masking tape). Then prime with any bog basic grey primer. Several light coats are better than one thick one.

Rub down with 000 grade wire wool.

Apply your top coat - again several fine layers, rubbing down with 000 wire wool between each one.

Then apply your lacquer. Leave to harden for at least 72 hours. Then use T-cut to flat it back and polish it up.

It's expensive and a lot of work and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it. For what you're going to spend on materials and the time it's going to take you you might as well get the whole frame done professionally.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have had got pretty good results,before,but agree it is time sonsuming,and ends up costing almost as much in paint as taking it to a professional stove enamlller or powder coaters.
    If you are going to paint just the stays it might be worth a go,but as stated prep is everything.Worth a trip to your local car paint suppliers to get some decent paint,materials and advice too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    or send it to argos racing, and then helicopter tape it.