Sorry, but its another what bike thread.

matt581
matt581 Posts: 219
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
im looking at getting a cheapish (£200-£300) bike for commuting to work on, its an 18mile round trip. i normally ride a mountain bike. but im not sure if im best getting a hybrid or a road bike? any tips would be a great help.

Comments

• TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    Matt, no need to apologise mate. Advice is what these forums are about. There are a number of threads about commuter bike suggestions and many folk have a budget similar to yours. That amount of money will get a decent enough commuter from brands such as Claud Butler, Ridgeback, Dawes and Trek. You won't go far wrong with any but if it's a year-round machine you are looking for you'll need rack and mudguard mounting points (some bikes will even come fully-equipped)
    I would suggest 700c x 28+ tyres for a good compromise. Most Shimano transmission in this price range should be decent enough too. The final decision will come down to what fits your riding style best. A recent poster opted for the Ridgback Cometfor £259, but you can get a Rapide Meteor for £299.99 fully kitted out. Or if you fancy a suspension fork you can buy the Claud Butler Oddysey for £229.99 (again with rack and mudguards).
    Have a look at the Evans website (if only as a guide) and see what's available in your price range....I think you will be surprised.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde