Upgrade or new bike?

johncp
johncp Posts: 302
edited March 2008 in Workshop
I have a Lemond Tourmalet, (Reynolds 853 main triangle, ?725 stays) with Tiagra STIs and derailleurs. Have replaced most of the rest of the bike for stuff I like (bars,saddle etc). It's a really comfy bike, but maybe a bit flexy - BB sways when in a turbo trainer.
Like many others I have been lusting after a new bike http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/wilier%20izoard%2008%20centaur%20big%20se.jpg but have lately been wondering if it might be better value for money to upgrade remaining bits on the Lemond including wheels, (currently Open Pro on 105 to Racing 5 Evo or similar) and STIs and derailleurs
Any comments either way?
If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wilier Izoard with Centaur?

If you can afford it, why not? Italian style.

It's an amazing bike, I was close to getting that exact bike, before getting my budget cut and opting for a selfbuild. I wouldn't say Open Pro on 105 to Racing 5 Evo or similar was much of an upgrade anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • vbc
    vbc Posts: 1,104
    But steel is real!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just because your BB sways on the turbo doesn't neccessarily mean your bike is flexy - my track bike does the same and it's the stiffest, most unyielding thing I've ever ridden. 853 tubing, particularly oversize doesn't really have a reputation for being flexy either. Take a test ride on a few other bikes to try and determine where the differences lie - try and understand what you want a new bike for - perhaps a new pair of wheels and some decent tyres will make the difference to your existing ride - perhaps from the money you save, look to ride some different events which will give the motive to enjoy your riding more?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    For an upgrade fit Campag Neutron wheels (shimano freehub) and Veloce or Centaur 10 ergos - these work with 9 speed Shimano with a small mod at the derailler cable connection ,and will save about 150 grams as well as making the bike look like a steel bike should.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Have a look at this article I just wrote about consumerism. :wink:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Have a look at this article I just wrote about consumerism. :wink:

What article......that was a rant :lol:
  • synchronicity
    Exactly. I feel much better now. :lol:
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I'm not a big fan of steel bikes - but only to the point I don't reckon they're good value to buy new nowadays. I'd suggest that Lemond is actually a pretty nice frame, and if you don't have a big need to lose weight (which is the main advantage of swapping it for something carbon), then I reckon you're best sticking with it and upgrading - particularly given you'll undoubtedly feel the need to change parts on any stock bike you might buy anyway. As Monty Dog (one of the more knowledgeable posters on here) said, the BB swaying on a turbo is pretty normal - most if not all bikes do that.
  • michaelm
    michaelm Posts: 49
    I'm in the same boat....

A few things begining to wear/ need changing, fancy a new carbon bike, but for a bit less I could put Centaur and some nice wheels on my Alp De Huez:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... me002a.jpg

I've dithered and dithered over this. Expect a similar post again this time next year :!:
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Johncp wrote:
    I have a Lemond Tourmalet, (Reynolds 853 main triangle, ?725 stays) .........................It's a really comfy bike, but maybe a bit flexy - BB sways when in a turbo trainer.
    Like many others I have been lusting after a new bike

but have lately been wondering if it might be better value for money to upgrade remaining bits on the Lemond including wheels, (currently Open Pro on 105 to Racing 5 Evo or similar) and STIs and derailleurs
    Any comments either way?

You're struggling with the decision of whether to get a new bike...

Get it. Buy everything you want first time as it's cheaper that way

Keep the Lemond-if you upgrade, it's an "ongoing process" which will nag at you and sap your wallet-and you'll still end up with a bits and bobs bike, except with loads of spares you can't bring yourself to sell (just in case)
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    michaelm wrote:
    That's a classy looking bike Michael.
  • michaelm
    Lagavulin wrote:
    That's a classy looking bike Michael.

Thanks, it's not bad - just some of the components could do with a change. But, this is a really classy frame. Wish it was a bit smaller. (not mine by the way - wish it was, in a 52!)
  • synchronicity
    michaelm wrote:
    I'm in the same boat....

A few things begining to wear/ need changing, fancy a new carbon bike, but for a bit less I could put Centaur and some nice wheels on my Alp De Huez:

I've dithered and dithered over this. Expect a similar post again this time next year :!:

What the hell is wrong with that bike, bud? :?
    Absolutely beautiful just the way she is... 8) 8) 8)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    michaelm wrote:
    I'm in the same boat....

I test rode one of these and have regretted not buying it frequently since-I thought the frame was better than the componentry fitted

that said, it was perfectly set up, before the days of compacts-50/38 with 12/27 IIRC. It was a gorgeous ride, and of course would go really well with a Campag g/s.....wasn't GLeM a Campag user?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • michaelm
    [
    What the hell is wrong with that bike, bud? :?
    Absolutely beautiful just the way she is... 8) 8) 8)

Mostly consumables to be honest.....

Wheels - Aksium 06, I think I'm right in saying the weight for a pair is over 2kg.

On these not too light wheels, keeping in mind we are coming out of winter, is a pair of Specialized Armadillo all condition tyres (quite heavy so they say!), all my summer tyres were damaged as we went into winter.

Cassette won't last another new chain, and will need a nw chain soon.

L.H. shifter (105 - '02 vintage) buzzes like a wasp suffering from roid rage.

Jockey wheels now resemble death stars (and make a fair bit of noise).

I prefer the wider bars of the fixie (though I've managed with these untill now) - could do with the same on this.

Rightly or wrongly, I sometimes worry about the 2 bolt stem is now 6 years old.

I don't like the 50/34 compact -even though I put it on! It's just too much of a gap up front.

A strip, clean, wax, and the clean lines of a Centaur groupset, and a lighter set of wheels would do it wonders I reckon. All of which would cost around £600. Against that, I could buy a complete carbon bike equipped with Ultegra for £1000.

On the plus side - there's nothing wrong with the frame, forks, or the Brooks Swift :)

Go on then....... what wheels to go with the a Centaur groupset? (weekend chaingangs, midweek TT's, club runs, a few sportives etc etc)