Can anyone recommend a good book

bubblin
bubblin Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Im looking to get a few cycling books for myself and am quite interested in "Haynes : The Racing Bike Book" which gives a light read over all types of racing topics, training, bikes etc.

Has anyone read this - Is it OK?

Apart from that can anyone recommend a couple of other racing/bike related books that are not biographies.

I don't want anything too indepth or just focused on one rider and it has to be modern day not historic. But, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
:idea:
Thanks

Bubblin

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance

EDIT: perhaps not necessarily what you are after, but a good read nonetheless.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bubblin
    I gather from the title that's repair orientated only.

Any ideas on racing, training etc.

I'll take a trip out to the local bookshop and thumb through a few of these later in the week.

BTW - a whole minute for a reply, must be the Pro Race 3's :D
    Thanks

Bubblin
  • I can thoroughly recommend the following books:

The Rider: Tim KRABBE

Push Yourself Just A Little Bit More: Jonny GREEN

French Revolutions: Tim Moore

I could n't put any of them down.
    weight.png
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    I'd second 'The Rider' and 'French Revolutions' but would also reccomend:

- The Hour: Michael Hutchinson

and

- The Escape Artist: Matt Seaton
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yes, Seaton's book is great.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I really enjoyed The Hour: Michael Hutchinson. I read it after being depressed by Breaking the chain by Willy Voet and it hit the spot.

Looks like Seaton's book is going on the wishlist. :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    An obvious but great read are the Lance Armstrong books (official ones) Every second counts and especially It's not about the bike. The latter is an inspirational book.
  • bubblin
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to pop down and take a quick browse at the Matt Seaton book mentioned a couple of times.

Just got the Haynes book, its quite good for a Newbie as it goes over bike fitting, different types of racing and a few rider snippets.

Although if you already follow racing quite a bit it could go over old ground.

Cheers

:D
    Thanks

Bubblin
  • Put Me Back On My Bike

Tom Simpson - Put me back on my bike by Will Fotheringham

Worth 0.89p of anybodys money on Amazon
  • I would also recommende The Rider.

The other book that I think is just great is Richard's Bike Book by Richard Ballentine, but you need to get an earlier edition IMO.
    The new one is all glossy and polished and is little more than a repar manual. The older version is a great polemic about bike sand why riding bikes is so great.

That said it can be hard to find.

Wearing lycra will not make you go faster.
  • bubblin
    Hey funny you should mention that I have a first issue of that book received when I was still at school.

Its been read numerous times and is quite funny in places (he gives advice of kicking a car or slapping the windscreen of errant car drivers!!!!)

And its still in one piece and like new.

I might be tempted to give it another outing.

Cheers
    Thanks

Bubblin