Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Millar's Tale

iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,774
edited April 2008 in Pro race
Part oneand twoon Youtube
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Posts

  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    I still like him. Does this make me a bad person?

    Who was the "older rider"?
  • afx237viafx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Holier-than-thou PR job for Slipstream. Kinda dull.
  • LangerDanLangerDan Posts: 6,132
    A piece of fluff.

    So many years after his sanctioning, Millar still cannot look an interviewer in the eye when discussing his doping. And that "older rider" stuff was like some young one bemoaning how she lost her virginity to a middle aged Lothario.

    There is a great interview / documentary to be made about Millar. He's very eloquent, comfortable with the camera and has a worthwhile tale of doping and (hopefully) redemption to tell. That however was a complete pile of sh!te.

    On the plus side, it was 10 minutes more than we got from Vaughters about his dalliance with the "hot sauce"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • z000mz000m Posts: 544
    i think miller is a good guy. he should however name the older rider.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,128
    He already did I think - Massimiliano Lelli.
  • MoomaloidMoomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Yep just an advert for Slipstream.

    I still dislike the guy, and his smug (less so in this film) attitude really grates on me.

    Was gonna ask if he ever named the rider...
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    I watched it and it was "older rider" and "I went to Italy to dope". Hmm, how many Italian riders did Cofidis have? And I remember Millar go to Lelli's for "training". In fact, writing this now, I remember Millar saying Lelli taught him where to inject the EPO, how to pinch some skin on your waist and stick the needle there.

    Millar might seem sanctimonious at times but how many ex-dopers are willingly turning a new leaf and apologising? Bring me the sanctimonious talk anytime instead of the usual denial and lies. More power to him, I hope he does well. He's a real talent still and a decent guy.
  • claudbclaudb Posts: 212
    Spot on Kleber. I'd rather have this sometimes rather sickly air and that he be doing something positive to support others who may otherwise be tempted into where was, than have another cynical cheating liar taking the sport further down the spiral to extinction.
  • I've never been a big fan of Millar, always seems to suffering from something when results don't go his way.

    That said, I was on the Telegraphe with my family last year, Union Jack draped over the car. Millar came past and a threw an empty bidon into my open boot as a bit of a souvenir. Nice touch, he went up in my estimation after that .
  • Dave_1Dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I was in a pub last summer in Hong Kong watching TDF in the pyrenees and overheard some people standing behind me saying 'where's David" , so introduced myself and explained he'd just gone off the back after setting the pace for Mayo...they were his school mates , expats brats from his year in Hong Kong-the David Millar they described was quite different to that video-. basically, he sounds a pretty normal sort of guy who likes a good few beers when away from the bike. I like following Millar's career and don't care if his wins are more rare now...he's right to speak out now he has the chance
  • G manG man Posts: 57
    Is this the same Dave_1, saying Millar is right to speat out now? I thought you advocated "Omerta" on previous threads, especially with regard to Sinkewitz speaking out. I seem to remember you saying young riders would lose contracts because of people confessing to doping. Is it because Millar's a good bloke and British he's allowed to spill the beans about doping in yours eyes?
    G man
    respectez le bitumen
  • ArkibalArkibal Posts: 850
    Well Millar never spoke where and how he got the drugs and only admitted it when he was caught red handed. I have zero trust for him or his new clean team which he happens to own... Together with a former USP rider, Vaughters, LOL... Clean team my censored ...
  • DaveyLDaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Arkibal wrote:
    Well Millar never spoke where and how he got the drugs and only admitted it when he was caught red handed. I have zero trust for him or his new clean team which he happens to own... Together with a former USP rider, Vaughters, LOL... Clean team my ars*...

    Yes he did.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Dave_1Dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    G man wrote:
    Is this the same Dave_1, saying Millar is right to speat out now? I thought you advocated "Omerta" on previous threads, especially with regard to Sinkewitz speaking out. I seem to remember you saying young riders would lose contracts because of people confessing to doping. Is it because Millar's a good bloke and British he's allowed to spill the beans about doping in yours eyes?
    G man

    He made a confession about where he got EPO- dr of surname Losa and Italiain pro...he did not attempt to bring down entire teams to get his ban shortened like Sinketwiz. millar is right to speak out about the future which he does...rather than lose more sponsors from the sport.
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:
    G man wrote:
    Is this the same Dave_1, saying Millar is right to speat out now? I thought you advocated "Omerta" on previous threads, especially with regard to Sinkewitz speaking out. I seem to remember you saying young riders would lose contracts because of people confessing to doping. Is it because Millar's a good bloke and British he's allowed to spill the beans about doping in yours eyes?
    G man

    He made a confession about where he got EPO- dr of surname Losa and Italiain pro...he did not attempt to bring down entire teams to get his ban shortened like Sinketwiz. millar is right to speak out about the future which he does...rather than lose more sponsors from the sport.

    By naming Dr Losa he endangered all of Euskaltel Euskadi - if Spain gave a censored about doping.

    As it was he kind of brought them down (for a while) anyway, as they could barely get a result without their chemist.


    I like Millar to an extent and I believe he is now clean. However I think he still can't admit the extent of his doping and is not comfortable about it.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Dave_1Dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    timoid. wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    G man wrote:
    Is this the same Dave_1, saying Millar is right to speat out now? I thought you advocated "Omerta" on previous threads, especially with regard to Sinkewitz speaking out. I seem to remember you saying young riders would lose contracts because of people confessing to doping. Is it because Millar's a good bloke and British he's allowed to spill the beans about doping in yours eyes?
    G man

    He made a confession about where he got EPO- dr of surname Losa and Italiain pro...he did not attempt to bring down entire teams to get his ban shortened like Sinketwiz. millar is right to speak out about the future which he does...rather than lose more sponsors from the sport.

    By naming Dr Losa he endangered all of Euskaltel Euskadi - if Spain gave a shoot about doping.

    As it was he kind of brought them down (for a while) anyway, as they could barely get a result without their chemist.


    I like Millar to an extent and I believe he is now clean. However I think he still can't admit the extent of his doping and is not comfortable about it.

    He had to do the naming as he would have been jailed in France, he had to show where he was when he used EPO. Sinkwitz and Jacksche have tried to get lenient treatment by grassing on everyone. milalr did not have to admit to winning the 03 worlds with EPO. IMO he should not have made that admission. He was just a softie who paniced under pressure
Sign In or Register to comment.