Saddle thingamajig

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Looking for a new challenge this year I've entered a stupidly long Ironman event.

I've decided that I need a bottle rack/carrier thing that attaches to the back of the saddle like one of these
http://www.totalfitnessbath.co.uk/pageDisplay.aspx?ProductDetails.asp?DeptID=2&SubID=44&ProdID=145

Now call me a skinflint but that's an outrageous price for a glorified bottle cage. I like shiny kit as much as the next man but I know a rip off when I see one.

I don't actually need the compressed air canister bit, just a couple of bottle cages and some straps for a spare tyre, tube(s) and a multitool.

Has anybody spotted a cheaper version? I'm half tempted to get some meccano and velcro and make my own!
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The Big Woody? See you there.

You really don't want one of those. I thought I needed one when I started doing half ironman races a few years ago. I used it in the Bath olymic tri to practise. I dropped one of my bottles trying to get it back in the cage, then the other one fell out of its own accord.

Not having your drinks slows you down a hell of a lot more than the tiny (and dubious) aerodynamic advantage that they may give.

Get two nice, reliable, bottle cages and stick with them. Worked fine for me on Ironman UK.

Another good thing to get is a liittle bag that fits on your top tube behind your stem, to store energy bars where they are accessible. If you get a large one you can put your gas cylinders, tyre levers, tube and patches in there too.

http://triuk.com//index.php?page=shop.p ... &Itemid=26
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tacx do a twin bottlecage mount which clamps to your saddle rails - you supply the cages, but it only costs about a tenner. Choice of bottle cages is important too - Tacx Taos are excellent for keeping bottles in place too. I'm always intruiged to see why triathletes find it neccessary to carry four water bottles on their bikes when there are refuelling points all around the course? Why spend hundreds on the latest lightweight gizmos and aero frames and then strap an extra couple of kilos to the bike?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..