Tandem rear hub

geoff_ss
geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
edited March 2008 in Workshop
We haven't used the tandem for a while, mainly because I was finding it very hard as I was so unfit. I'm gradually regaining my fitness and I intend to overhaul our hand-built 531 lightweight tandem. It pre-dates indexed gearing (and cassette hubs come to that) I'm looking for a new 40 hole hub and can't seem to locate one anywhere.

Drop-out width is 135mm. The current wheel is an old Phil Wood hub with Mavic MA3 700c rim with 40x13g spokes and 6 speed freewheel (probably 13/28 ). I'd like to get indexed gearing if possible. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to retain the Stronglight 103 cross-over chainset which takes Campagnolo Record rings. It's a 52/42/30 triple IIRC.

Geoff
Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster

Comments

• aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    You could get indexed gearing on your current wheels if you're happy with only 7 speeds, as you should be able to fit a 7-speed indexed block in there, and you can I think still get 7-speed indexed kit.

Regarding the hub, Shimano made tandem hubs with 40 holes, though I believe they are spaced for 145mm. Given the way Shimano hubs work, you could almost certainly respace it to 135. The alternative though might be to respace it to 140 (or even leave it at 145) and have your rear end widened given it's a steel frame.

Alternatively you'll just have to give up on having 40 spoke wheels - our tandem actually has 32 spokes wheels, though that's with 30mm deep medium section aero rims usually used with only 20 or 24 spokes on a solo.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Peter White has 40 hole 135mm hubs listed. I'm sure they will ship to the UK. Not cheap though!

See http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/rearhubs.asp

Maybe Paul Hewitt can source some for you?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Thanks for the information. There used to be lots of 40 hole hubs available (Maxicar, Campag, Phil Wood for example) but none seems to have made it to the modern era.

aracer: I assume your 32 spoke rear wheel with deep section rims in on a purely racing tandem. We have raced ours occasionally (managed a TC silver standard for 25 miles - 55 02) but it was mainly touring, sometimes with camping gear. This time it'll be exclusively lightly loaded day rides.

The frame is a single marathon design and the rear end is very stiff. It could do with a longer rear top tube but the memsahib's reasonably happy with it.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    aracer: I assume your 32 spoke rear wheel with deep section rims in on a purely racing tandem.
    Nope - in fact it's only been used very occasionally for racing as my stoker's not really into that. Most of our miles have been loaded - though only relatively lightly as we stay in hotels rather than camp (we manage with 2 standard sized rear panniers only), though given my stoker is 6'2" she weighs rather more than the average stoker, which probably makes up for our lack of luggage on the rear wheel loading at least. I did build up the wheels with an eye on racing, but also because the deep rims dissipate heat a lot better given the huge surface area with wind flowing over it. Means they don't heat up so much when braking on long descents, which is of course a problem on a tandem - and means we have got away without an additional drag brake when touring even in hilly areas.

If I was going to build them again, I'd probably choose to use 36 spokes for extra durability - though I have a suspicion the rims I used may not have been available with 32 holes anyway. In any case I've not had a problem with wheel stiffness or strength over thousands of loaded miles (the stiff deep rims really do help a lot with this - I'd guess they're probably stiffer and stronger than a 40 hole standard box section wheel).