any bike reccommendations?

curlyrobert
curlyrobert Posts: 150
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I am a year into road riding, converted from xc mtb. I have the bug and want to upgrade my 16yr old steel rig.

I have a £1300ish budget, and have done some research, the bike is for a couple of 20 milers a week and perhaps a 4hr ride+ on the weekends - i do not think I will join a club atm. I have also entered to do a cyclosportive in August 100K with 10,000m climbing and I have no fitness currently so I need the best bike possible to help!

I have looked at the Cannondale synapse SL, the Scott CR1 Team and a few 2nd hand such as Trek Madone 6.2 (I prefer the aggressive ride position of the Trek to the Specialized Allez)

The other thoughts are along the Focus range, they have some amazing reviews, but not that inspiring for some reason, however I am strongly considering the Focus Cayo and wanted to know if anyone knew of the difference in frames between the Cayo and the Izalco?

Any pointers would be appreciated

Rob
the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Rob,

It seems that whenever a question like yours is posed, there will be a raft of recommendations for both the Focus Cayo and the Planet X SL Pro Carbon. There are so many positive reviews on both bikes that they must be good! Planet X are doing the above bike at the moment with Dura Ace gear on it for £999 which seems incredible value.

I had a similar budget recently and went for a Bianchi 928 C2C. My criteria was slightly different however in that I wanted comfort and a not too aggressive riding position.

I think generally in this price bracket it would be hard to make a "wrong" decision.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    I bought a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp for £1200 back in November - I think you can still get them at that price. Great bike - comfortable, looks great & has a good spec - Shimano 105.
    I would VERY strongly recommend trying all your choices out - even if only for a few minutes. When I go the Spesh I tried out a few others & they were just not comfortable for me at all.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I was in Cycle Surgery yesterday and they have 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite reduced from £1299 to £1099 (grey & black carbon frame looks like my Roubaix Pro). I imagine the geometry is the same as mine and hence very comfortable.

Peter
  • curlyrobert
    Managed to find a local club rider with a hardly used Madone 5.2, full ultegra, upgraded bars, stem tyres, saddle, R700 compact chainset - for £750 too good to turn down, thanks for the advice,

Three rides in and it is an amazing bike!

Rob

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Have you seen the new issue of Cycling Plus perchance?! :D 4 of the very best reviewed at (about) your price range - plus sidebar asides on several other distinctive bikes for about the same cost with superb features. The Cayo expert is a VERY highly rated bike - I thought long and hard about getting one myself, but being slightly oddly proportioned and having had difficulty with 'fit' on bikes before I decided against getting a bike I couldn't try on for size.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • curlyrobert
    looks like i might have rushed into the used arena, thanks Buick, I will buy the issue then get the madone on ebay perhaps!

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Get... rid... of.. a... bike?! :cry:

What have I done?
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Just to be different... If the old frame is a good one, buy a nice new groupset and new wheels. For 1200 pounds you could probably get a Chorus groupset with some swanky new wheels.

New steel frames are also good for what you seem to be planning. Some like the Viner Sidus perhaps?

Have fun!