Which HT XC to buy? My head is spinning!

Number 6
Number 6 Posts: 2
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi

I've been lurking here for a fair while and just decided to register as I desperately need some advice.

I want to buy a new XC bike; I would buy a full sus if I could afford it but I can't so it'll have to be a hardtail.

My needs are for use on woodland trails, fire roads, singletrack, general XC usage; nothing extreme. I'm neither a downhill speed freak nor a lover of big dropoffs. I suppose I'm more of a two-wheeled rambler.

My top budget is £600 (£700 at a big push and a long chat with the wife!).

I originally decided on a Saracen Zen 1 but several people have done their best to put me off for various reasons.

I'm now deciding between a Trek 6500 and a Specialized Rockhopper Disk - I think. Basically I've now looked at so many bikes that my head is spinning.

Can I canvass opinions on the three bikes please?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are the two big hitters that spring to mind - would go and test them or at least get fitted for size.

Wiggle got some good offers on the Focus bikes, but hard to test, and same goes for Merlin.

Also seen Zaskars in the sale for around 700 - XC legend!
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Yeah, if you live anywhere near Leyland Lancs, Merlin are worth visiting.

Webby here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/

Phil
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Have a look at Pauls Cycles as they have some good bargains on '06/07 models. You could go for something like a Giant XTC composite for £699 or a Giant Trance 3 for £640. As mentioned previously, Merlin do some good deals as well.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Also pop into Halfords (if you dare) to look at the Boardman Comp and Team (£600 an £700). Excellent spec for the money.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    2 ways of loking at this.Buy the Rockhopper,get reasonable parts,but you also you get a great frame,which you can upgrade as bits wear out and a bit of brand kudos.The same principle could also easily apply to a similarly priced,Trek,Giant XTC,GT Avalanche,Gary Fisher or Scott.

Or you could buy something like the Boardman or Merlin Malt 1,and get superb specfor the money,and a less sexy,but still reasonably functional frame.

The Rockhopper,is a good safe bet though,for someone new to the sport,and needs the back up of a well supported product,and good aftersales.Parts spec is solid and reliable if not the lightest.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    We have a 2008 Rockhopper Disk - it's very hard to fault for the money. :D
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    I would go for a Rockhopper. Good VFM.

If you can find a good deal on a Giant or Scott then these would be worth a look too.
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Most of the bikes in this range seem pretty much the same, the Trek 6500 looks a pretty good bet as trek are pretty good at making well balanced bikes. Then again the Giant XC4 or whatever, looks okay and is slightly cheaper. If you're after something abit more edgy have a ganders at one of the scott scales 60 or 50. And finally don't forget good old gary fisher with his Tassajara or however you spell it. All of the bikes seem to come specced out with tora forks so that should be okay.
  • limbsy
    limbsy Posts: 78
    have a look at cube as well, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23670
    looks like a good package
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    you can go an extra £50 right :wink:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39

good frame, fork, wheels, full 2008 lx groupset.
  • Brady
    Brady Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2007 Rockhopper Pro Disc and have just moved over to MTB from Rowing. I went through the same thoughts, went and spoke to everyone and came to the same conclusion.

I started looking at a Rockhopper, the a rockhoppper disc, and then decided on a rockhopper pro disc. The Pro has lighter wheels and better brakes and some better gear on it than the rockhopper disc.

I would also say that i had a rear wheel break a spoke and the Spec dealer upgraded the wheel to a new 2008 spec (lighter and stronger) free of charge. Spec have great after sales service.

Can i also suggest that you look around for a 2007 model, the 2007's have been discounted and a few are still around in LBS's. The 2007 Rockhopper pro disc has Juice 5's for brakes but the 2008 has Juicy 3's..

I am sure you can do a deal for a 2007 at a better price than the new 2008's.

drop me a line if you need any other advice.