Sub £600 hardtail -again!!

misterdun
misterdun Posts: 91
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
Just to make myself unpopular by bringing up a much discussed topic!! I am looking for a sub £600 hardtail and have been looking at the following:

GT Avalanche 1.0 2008
SP Rockhopper Disc 2008
Gary Fisher Piranha 2008
Gary Fisher Tassajara 2008
Genesis Core 20

I guess they pretty much have the same forks etc but are things like the brakes (Avids or Shimano) worth taking into consideration, I'm not sure where I can test a Gary Fisher in my area (Cambridge/Bury St Edmunds). I am 5'11 and this will be my first proper bike. I have been looking at Rockhoppers on Ebay but it seems the world and his wife want them and for a bit more I can get a brand spanker. Please ignore me if people are bored of this topic or help....please!!

Comments

• landranger
    landranger Posts: 220
    Hi,

I was in the same fix as you mate just over a month ago.
    I tried a few and to be honest, could not tell what it was I was supposed to expect when I tested them out. I went for a Rockhopper Disc in the end and it's bloody great :lol:

From what I've been told and read, at that price its much of a muchness and its really down to what you 'feel'. I hadn't riden a bike in 6 years and all I could feel was a bike between my legs :P yeah the riding positions were slightly different on some but I couldn't tell what was a good feel or bad feel was from riding round a car park!!

I went with the Rockhopper in the end cos of 12 mnths interest free and few free services.

Hope I've helped in some small way . . . . ? :oops:
    Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.
  • GrantyBoy
    GrantyBoy Posts: 166
    Focus Fat Boy from Wiggle just one this sort of test in a recent MBUK
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Halfords version of the Avalanche 1.0 - Aggressor XC1

Knocks spots off the Avalanche 1.0 specwise. Worth the extra $50 if you ask me.

Spec isn't the most important thing with buying a bike though. I've just picked up Rockhopper Pro. Fitted me better than the GT Zasker that i was also thinking about.
  • Hi there,

I too had the same issue recently. I went for a SP Rockhopper Disc 08.

Best advice I had was "ride them all and see what feels best" Took it out last weekend for some mud and hills...it was great I am really happy with my choice but I guess you need to take them for a spin.
  • misterdun
    misterdun Posts: 91
    I have just seen thre review of the Saracen Zen 1 in What MTB, has anyone tried this bike?
  • biker24
    biker24 Posts: 64
    get a cannondale f5 great bike and only £550