Sportive training for beginner...I'm worried!

mikecole64
mikecole64 Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hello

I've always owned a bike and I'm reasoably fit but only just started road cycling last year. I've done a few longer rides 75-80 miles (including one all day ride in Mallorca over Lluc) but never without a break, sometimes quite a long one at that. The longest non-stop effort was in the Great North Bike Ride which is 55 miles and I did that in 2:45 but it's pretty flat all the way. I've entered the Etape Caledonia which if you didn't know is 80 miles long with 2000m of ascent. Am I mad?

Because I play hockey, I've not been able to get out on my bike over the winter but have started training again two week ago. I'm intending to do one long ride at the weekend increasing up to 70 miles over the next 6 weeks. I'm also going to the gym to do sessions on the gym bike, twice a week, intervals maybe. Hopefully will be able to replace one of those midweek session with another trip out on my bike after the clocks go forward. Is this sufficiant or is it too much too soon? Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    If the Etape Caledonia is the one described in Cycling+ this month then it looks a great ride. You seem to be pretty fit. I can't see your having a problem if you pace yourself and ride at your own speed.

I'm tempted to do the route myself though the thought of riding with 3000 other cyclists horrifies me. We'll do it on our own over a leisurely day ride.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • jonah1
    jonah1 Posts: 27
    I'd try and get as many hills in on your weekend rides, and take it nice and steady.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    mikecole64 wrote:
    Hello

I've always owned a bike and I'm reasoably fit but only just started road cycling last year. I've done a few longer rides 75-80 miles (including one all day ride in Mallorca over Lluc) but never without a break, sometimes quite a long one at that. The longest non-stop effort was in the Great North Bike Ride which is 55 miles and I did that in 2:45 but it's pretty flat all the way. I've entered the Etape Caledonia which if you didn't know is 80 miles long with 2000m of ascent. Am I mad?

Thanks.

If you've done a couple of 75-80's and a 2.45 for 55 I'd imagine you'd be able to do the Caledonia. If possible, incorporate hills regularly into your training from now until the event - even a regular 10 miler with a couple of miles climbing would prove beneficial.
  • You're not as mad as me - I've entered all 3 days of the Tour of Wessex as my first ever sportive and haven't even been able to start training at all yet due to initially sh1te weather, then lack of free time and now a broken arm. Perhaps the world is conspiring against me or maybe it's some sort of sign, but either way I'm going ahead with it regardless - at the end of the day you only have to be able to average 12.5 miles an hour so anyone with a decent level of fitness and, perhaps more importantly, motivation can do it. C'mon my son, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated. Good to know that it's not a stupid idea. Will try to get in as much hill work as possible. I must admit I too am a bit daunted at the prospect of having 3000 other cyclists around me not having ever written in a group of more than 5, including myself! I've run the Great North Run and was constantly 'cut-up' by runners dressed as chickens or apes and whilst I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to dress up as a chicken on the Etape Caledonia the prospect of being cut-up by anyone, chicken suit or not, is not a great one!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    mikecole64 wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated. Good to know that it's not a stupid idea. Will try to get in as much hill work as possible. I must admit I too am a bit daunted at the prospect of having 3000 other cyclists around me not having ever written in a group of more than 5, including myself! I've run the Great North Run and was constantly 'cut-up' by runners dressed as chickens or apes and whilst I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to dress up as a chicken on the Etape Caledonia the prospect of being cut-up by anyone, chicken suit or not, is not a great one!

Relax.

1. You averaged 20mph for 55miles. There's not many on here who can do that.
    2. You're building your mileage up sensibly and have 6 weeks to get more miles and training in.
    3. I did the Caledonia last year. First there will be no fancy dress. Second the riders are grouped at the start so you start in bunches - not a great big 3000 bunch. Third the field gets spread pretty quick - you might be surprised by how much time you're on your own. Fourth - they hope for 3000, last year hey got nearer 1000 so although they have 1000+ registered they might not hit target. Fifth (no that's enough :) )
    4. I don't believe the 2000m climbing and posters last year who rode with a Garmin got nearer 1200m (take your pick but either way there is only really one set piece climb.)

I've entered again based on last year being a fab bike ride on a great course. It's absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Hope it doesn't p*ss it down all day this time though :)
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Thanks Pedylan, good to hear from someone who did it last year, that has calmed me down a bit!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    The etape Caledonian does not have 2000m depsite what it claims- its probably nearer 1200m. Its fairly flattish and the gradients on the hills are not too steep. Its perfect for you and with your fitness you will be able to ride it without any difficulty.

The scenery though is out of this world. Good luck.
    Brian B.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Don't worry about it. You have decent speed & stamina. You'll do it.

Many organisers talk-up their events, saying how difficult/tough/lots of climbing/etc they are. Making it seem tough makes it seem exciting, it gets the entries.

Cycling Weakly and C+ in report them in the same way. It sells the comics.

And some riders do the same on here.

But basically they're just a long ride on a bike, where you pay someone else to mark-out a route with arrows at junctions, give you drinks and food at intervals, pick you up in a van if you break down.

If you want to race one and get your name at the top of the results sheet, it'll be hard.

But if you just ride round it to finish, they're perfectly do'able for most regular cyclists.

Maybe do one at a steady pace, finish it and see what it takes, then you can try others a bit quicker.
  • Think I've clear up the mystery of the 2000m climb. I think what the organisers are talking about is the total climb for the entire ride, so every time you go down a small hill and back up the other side it all gets added to the total. However the highest point on the course is a lot lower than that.

Have a look at the link below from the Motionbased website. This shows 6400ft which is about 2000m total gain in height but the high point is at 1250ft which is a bit less than 400m.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3127990

That doesn't sound quite so intimidating.
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    I did the main climb on the Etape Caledonia route a few weeks ago. It was good fun - only problem was that there was snow on the road in a few places! It very rarely gets gritted, if ever.

It's not that hard a climb - in fact the climb in the other direction from Aberfeldy is a bit harder. Other climbs in the area for example Lawers -> Glen Lyon or Kenmore -> Amulree are much harder.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I'd managed to convince myself that I didn't have enough training time to do this in six weeks but after the comments I think I might give it a bash.

If I do then you'll be ahead of my level of fitness, off-roading 10/12 miles once or twice a week and a game of fives once a week if I'm lucky and a lot of laziness in between - need the voucher for the new road bike to be delivered soon for much needed inspiration!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steve_F wrote:
    I'd managed to convince myself that I didn't have enough training time to do this in six weeks but after the comments I think I might give it a bash.

If I do then you'll be ahead of my level of fitness, off-roading 10/12 miles once or twice a week and a game of fives once a week if I'm lucky and a lot of laziness in between - need the voucher for the new road bike to be delivered soon for much needed inspiration!

This sportive must be by far the easiest on the entire UK calendar..should be perfect for a first attempt...
  • lugster77
    lugster77 Posts: 50
    signed up yesterday for it. thought **** it i'll have a bash.1st sportive for me too. distance/hills don't seem a major problem . just thought it'd be a good incentive to get out on the bike and get fit in the next 7 weeks, as all i've been doing is an 8 mile round trip commute most days cos of the crap weather. nothing ventured nothing gained i say!!! will be a nice weekend away if nothing else. the (expected?!) 3000 or whatever should be fun as i've only ever been out on my own. bring it on!!! :lol:
  • I'm signed up for this. Did White Rose long route last year, and Etape du Tour in the Pyreness, so this one shouldn't be too bad, just looking to closed roads and lovely scenery (hopefully no snow...).
    Presumably there's a feed stop or two along the way?