Cheap but Good Tyres

NorwegianBlue
NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm going to be commuting on my road bike, mainly because I'm not getting enough riding time and secondly to save money. The currently 20mm tyres on my rims are hardly suited to commuting, so I'm looking for something around 25mm with reasonable puncture protection, but that will still be fast rolling.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Gareth
"Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker

Comments

• Puncture protection tires always cost a bit more.

I swear by my Conti Top Touring 2000 for commuting, but for summat faster try the Gatorskins.
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    I'm on 25mm vittoria rubinos. £16 from wiggle for 2 tyres and 2 inner tubes. Running them at 130psi. Not had a puncture for the 1000 miles i've owned them. Dont think you'll find cheaper!
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • SPOODZILLA wrote:
    I'm on 25mm vittoria rubinos. £16 from wiggle for 2 tyres and 2 inner tubes. Running them at 130psi. Not had a puncture for the 1000 miles i've owned them. Dont think you'll find cheaper!

Looks tempting, but Wiggle only have 23mm. I know 2mm isn't much, but I've decided on a 25mm for the extra volume.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Conti Ultra Sports, cheap and cheerful, and pretty solid.

No unexpected deflations, and no grip issues through crap roads and awful weather.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr