BB spacers on an Inbred 456???

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guy's.

I am building up an On-One Inbred 456 frame with an 07 XT Hollow Tech 11 chainset, and i just need to know how many spacers i need on the drive side bearing cup? I have 2 driveside and one non drive side at the moment and the outer ring is very close to the chainstay? Is it OK to put the one from the non driveside on the driveside, or do i need more spacers? I am doing this right now, so if someone can let me know sharpish i'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd like to know too,

I have it as above, and got chainsuck twice due to huge amounts of oxfordshire filth. Scored my chainstay, i was thinking of getting one of those claw things that stop it happening.

IIRC it is supposed to be really close so it can have short chainstays and take huge tyres and not have a massive q factor.
  • I don't think you can put three spacers on the same side because there wouldn't be that much thread left in the BB then. Could damage the crankset or worse the frame
  • andyturner28
    Thanks guy's. I havn't got time to take it all off again, i still havn't got the chain on yet, or had my dinner, so i'll see how it goes with 3 on driveside tomorrow. I'll just wrap lots of insulation tape around the chainstay.

Chilledsandwich (hummm foood :) ) There is enough axle to get the crank on, it has quite a narrow BB....area, the bit the cups screw into, don't know what it is called :roll:

Cheers,

Andy.
  • ride_whenever
    BB shell,

if you think about it, the side from face to face of the cups doesn't vary as you move spacers. roughly how much of the cup thread is in the frame?
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Hi Andy,

If you're still going at it check out the link here

Should tell you everything you need to know - it's what i used to strip down my BB
  • ride_whenever
    not really to the point, on the 456 you have about 2mm clearance between the chainrings and the chainstays, It's to make it ride sweet, but andy is trying to get a bit more space, very sensible if it is possible, so he is less likely to damage the frame with chainsuck
  • andyturner28
    He guy's.

I am bloody knackered! Got it all built up, finnished about 15 minuits ago, and started at 6 :shock: Well i say finnished..........i stupidly managed to cut the chain about 3 links too short!!!! I used the big chainring to big sprocket meathod, and instead of adding two links i removed two! Don't ask me how, it was all a bit of a rush so i could ride it to work tomorrow, but this is all accademic as my middle and outer ring are so knackered that they just spin inside the chain :shock: Looks like i am walking tomorrow :evil:

I assume i just need some extra links and pins to lengthen the chain again? Never had to do it before. Please say i havn't just wrecked a £30 chain.

Andy.

P.S. I have a KMC X9 Gold chain. I just noticed Shimano do a chain connector pin for their chains. Can you get them for KMC chains, as well as extra outer links, or do i just use another power link connector?
  • ride_whenever
    Just use powerlinks and the excess length!

How did you write off your outer and middle ring?

I'd run the spacers 2 and 1 if you are commuting tomorrow.
  • andyturner28
    Just use powerlinks and the excess length!

How did you write off your outer and middle ring?

I'd run the spacers 2 and 1 if you are commuting tomorrow.

I didn't right them off this evening! They were just very worn, and because i put a new chain on they just arn't meshing togather. Thought i could get away with it till the new outer ring arrives, hopefully tomorrow. Just hope i can get a new middle tomorrow.

Can i use Sram power links with a KMC chain? If so i can take them off my old chain, even though the old one is silver.

Cheers for the link Nick. Havn't read it yet because i have not long finnished, but thanks anyway :)

Andy.
  • ride_whenever
    Yeah, should be fine as long as all are 9spd