Niklas Axelsson

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited March 2008 in Pro race
Moderate Career. Busted in 2001. Cancer in 2005. Now at the grand old age of 35 having a storming season. What's all that about?
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I remember he was doing alright in the 1999 Giro til he busted his collarbone. I think he has spent his entire career in Italian teams, a sort of ex-pat virtual Italian.

Maybe it's "now or never again" time.
  • He finished 6th overall during that dodgy 1999 Giro that Pantani was thrown off and though that means absolutely nothing whatsoever, I'm going to be cynical
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    He finished 6th overall during that dodgy 1999 Giro that Pantani was thrown off and though that means absolutely nothing whatsoever, I'm going to be cynical
    Ah well, maybe the crash was a later one then.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:
    Moderate Career. Busted in 2001. Cancer in 2005. Now at the grand old age of 35 having a storming season. What's all that about?

I was going to start a similar thread, but thought there wasn't much to say without being incredibly cynical. To be honest, I'd never even heard of the guy until T-A (only started following cycling around 02-03).

Why was he given a 4 year ban instead of the usual 2?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    The Swedish cycling federation are more draconian?

He was back in competition before the four years were up.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.