New Hybrid for 200-300 range

damoske
damoske Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi folks,

I'm just getting into biking, and have yet another new bike recommendation request. From my local dealers (Halfords and Comptons), I've narrowed my choice to:

Ridgeback Rapide Speed : £229
Carrera Subway 2 : £259 inc £50 accessories
Carrera Crossfire 2 : £259 inc £50 accessories

I'm in London Zone 2 and work from home, so I'd mostly use it for nipping to the shops or into central London, along with some occasional bike one-day ride outs (say 40-60 miles).

I like the included guards and rack on the Ridgeback (style isn't a priority), plus the idea of an LBS. The Subway's a bit less tame, but has disc brakes and seat suspension, and generally very good write-ups.

And the Crossfire 2.... it seems more suited to civilsed travelling/touring than the Subway, an I like the bigger seat (not sure about the suspension forks) but I can't find any write-ups anywhere on it. Do they exist in the wild?!?

I'm keen to buy from my LBS, but the £50 accessories (and discs and suspension into the bargain) are so tempting... :-(

D

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Do not know too much about the bikes in question, but front suspension is a big no-no on the road. It slows you down, and feels really unwieldy. I would recommend a bike with a rigid fork. Also, it is nice to have factory guards and racks, because they are the right kind, fitted correctly (one store persistently fitted my mudguards incorrectly, luckily I learnt my lesson and fit them myself now.)
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    subway 2 looks a reasonable bike for the price - tyres look a little wide for road use but would offer a little more comfort or off road use. It also has plenty of clearance for mudguards. I wouldn't bother with the suspension seat post. TBH i wouldn't bother with the crossfire for a roadbike. As acorn says you don't want suspension on a road bike and at that price you will probably just bounce down the road when you pedal hard - wasted energy and extra weight too.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • damoske
    damoske Posts: 4
    feel wrote:
    subway 2 looks a reasonable bike for the price - tyres look a little wide for road use but would offer a little more comfort or off road use.

Thanks! I had to make a decision on Saturday, so I chose to support my LBS and buy a Rideback Speed - simple bike, but probably more practical for UK Weather and London, and apparently the chrome guards and non-MTB looks should make it less likely to be nicked! It rained on the ride home, so I was grateful for the guards straight away.

The frame's light enough to carry up 8 flights of stairs (at Greenwich Foot Tunnel) without much effort, and I'm not missing the suspension yet despite hitting a few potholes.

Admittedly it doesn't feel too sporty - I deliberately chose a slightly small frame (21" for me at 6'5") because I wanted the option of putting my feet flat on the floor when carrying shopping, in London traffic - the 23" was too big - but the posture's more upright than I'm used to. I might raise the seat a bit once I'm more used to riding (after 12 years away).

Looking at the Subway 2 before I made my final decision, it did have better looks, a few nice extras, and be built for a more dedicated ride; I partly regret not getting it, and 'sensibly' opting for mudguards instead.

The gears are clunking around a fair bit; I'm not used to having a working 21-speed, so it might be used to my inexperience in selecting the right combination; or the LBS could have set them up wrongly. The chain's come off once already, though.

D