Bent frame or paranoid?

Darksun1989
Darksun1989 Posts: 88
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Just got my shiny new rear wheel, pro 2 bolt-on laced to an ex721, after fitting the new wheel my rear brake,06 juicy 5, was rubbing rather badly. On closer inspection it appeared that even though the caliper was at the extreme of it's adjustment to the left yet the right pad was still rubbing. In other words it was impossible to move the caliper far enough over to center the pads over the disk.
I have since bodged it by placing a couple of washers between the frame and adapter and the brake no longer rubs. But this has me worried as I always had a bit of a problem getting my rear brake to run 'rub free' so could I have bent my frame or caliper and just not noticed till I fitted this new wheel? If so anyway to test this?
Frame's an Identitii Mr Hyde btw.
- We roll tonight to the guitar bite, and for those about to rock I salute you - AC/DC

Comments

• I thought the point of avids design with the juicy5's was that you didn't need spacers?
    - We roll tonight to the guitar bite, and for those about to rock I salute you - AC/DC
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    is your wheel aligned correctly in the frame? it might need dishing to one side or t'other.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I thought the point of avids design with the juicy5's was that you didn't need spacers?

i think that's in the caliper as it can be aligned by sliding the caliper to the disc.

If the disc is mounted too far away then spacers are needed on the disc to move it over but this shouldn't usually be neccacary.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    god1406 wrote:
    is your wheel aligned correctly in the frame? it might need dishing to one side or t'other.

and that has nothing to do with the brake!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi,
    Just got my shiny new rear wheel, pro 2 bolt-on laced to an ex721, after fitting the new wheel my rear brake,06 juicy 5, was rubbing rather badly. On closer inspection it appeared that even though the caliper was at the extreme of it's adjustment to the left yet the right pad was still rubbing. In other words it was impossible to move the caliper far enough over to center the pads over the disk.
    I have since bodged it by placing a couple of washers between the frame and adapter and the brake no longer rubs. But this has me worried as I always had a bit of a problem getting my rear brake to run 'rub free' so could I have bent my frame or caliper and just not noticed till I fitted this new wheel? If so anyway to test this?
    Frame's an Identitii Mr Hyde btw.

Right lets have some pictures,

also what is left and right? hub side or frame side?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Left and right when looking from the back of the bike in the upright position, sorry should have explained that in my first post. doubt you'll see much on a digital photo, my camera's not that high quality, will knock together something on paint to try and explain it though.

Btw checked and the wheel is sat properly not that thats really relevent :)

Edit: piccy http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... lemnz8.jpg
    hope that clears it up a bit
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    I would have said that If you have used spacers and the problem is sorted not to worry. I think you would know if the frame was bent. WHere exactly do you think the frame is bent?

Lee
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    nicklouse wrote:
    god1406 wrote:

and that has nothing to do with the brake!

Well. That's the last time I offer my impartial, ill-informed and poorly spelt opinion on anything vaguely technical.

humph.

and now i come to think about it, it actually has got nothing to do with the brake :)
  • If you have to bodge something then it's not exactly a fix and is usually a sign of a more serious problem, i.e. patching the hole in your tube but leaving the thorn that caused it in your tyre. The reason I'm worried is I'm going backpacking with my bike this summer and having to buy a new frame in the middle of europe can really put a cramp on your holiday :D
    I suppose what I really want to know is is there some sort of test I can do to see if there could be a problem?