Cut up

BentMikey
BentMikey Posts: 4,895
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
Would anyone on here claim never to have been "cut up"?

Comments

• phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    Define "cut up"

a) Having a vehicle (or cycle?) swerve in front of you agressivley after overtaking or

b) Having someone overtake the "slow" cyclist and then turn left in front of you because there will ALWAYS be time to overtake a cycle and turn regardless of the distance/speed equation.

If a) then yes, when apporaching red lights to stop me getting to the line

If b) then durr, yeh!

Phil
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    Define "cut up"

with a stanley knife across the face, neck and back?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    The other day I was stopped at a red light, and a 'fellow' cyclist came up behind me, cut in front and stopped, waiting for the lights to change. I was speechless!
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Only about twice.

On tonight's journey home.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    tardie wrote:
    The other day I was stopped at a red light, and a 'fellow' cyclist came up behind me, cut in front and stopped, waiting for the lights to change. I was speechless!

A cyclist stopping at a red light :shock: :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    spen666 wrote:
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    Define "cut up"

better off with 2 blades in it, separated with a matchstick - harder to sew up....

er...

um.....

With non sports martial arts you can pick up some dodgy advice.... :?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Gambatte wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    Define "cut up"

better off with 2 blades in it, separated with a matchstick - harder to sew up....

er...

um.....

.....quote]

Did I meet you outside Anfield in Stanley Park back in the 1980s?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    spen666 wrote:
    Gambatte wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    phil_ss1 wrote:
    Define "cut up"

er...

um.....

.....quote]

Did I meet you outside Anfield in Stanley Park back in the 1980s?

Definitely not, :)

Just one of those things you pick up. Like the femural artery is under tension. Cut it, it'll retract towards the abdomen. Any goodbyes'll have to be done in about 30s :cry:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I really hate it when other cyclists cut in front of me at traffic lights, then proceed to ride off really slowly when the lights change!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Twice last night on the way home :(

1. Articulated lorry with German plates thundered by and cut into the cycle lane to squeeze inside a traffic island (Parson's Green). If I hadn't slowed down, the back end of his rig would certainly have hit me.

2. Silver Jaguar (one of the poorman-wanting-to-look-like-a-richman models) turned left alongside me as I was also turning left near Putney Green and came within an inch of clipping the curb. If I hadn't slowed down (having heard him race up behind) then I would have been squashed. If I had been going straight ahead he would have killed me.

In both cases I was fuming, particularly in the case of the Jaguar. Both utterly unneccessary and didn't save either driver any time at all. Probably for the best that the c*ckmonkey in the Jag had made it through the next set of traffic lights by the time I got there hence, avoiding a piece of my mind.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I had a guy cut in on me as we pulled away at the lights the other day, he had gears I was on my SS, I was slower away but he only got about half a length on me before cutting in, he nearly jumped out of his skin when I hollered at him, don't think he quite expected me to be there at all.

I always find that my lungs are far more effective than any bell!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • BentMikey wrote:
    Would anyone on here claim never to have been "cut up"?

well no one has claimed never to have been "cut up"

yet

sw
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Except some arse on one of my youtube videos. I just thought it was a laughable claim, even though he does only 1000 miles/year, or so he claims.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    BentMikey wrote:
    Except some ars* on one of my youtube videos. I just thought it was a laughable claim, even though he does only 1000 miles/year, or so he claims.

Dont believe a word of it 1000 miles a year and never cut up no chance :D.

Probably sombody who doubles up as a 14 year old girl on myspace at the weekend and ferrari test driver weekdays :lol:
  • "Cars have right of way over cyclists though!"

That's what the young guy that cut me up today said to me after I explained why I was annoyed with him.

It was on short road (less than 50metres) running between two main roads, I turned right in to it and was going quite quick, he was turning right also behind me and he thought he'd overtake me and turn left at the junction in front of me, he didn't get right past me though and cut across without indicating forcing me into the kerb! I vented my anger and he was just bemused at the fact I was annoyed!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    DavidTQ wrote:
    sombody who doubles up as a 14 year old girl on myspace at the weekend and ferrari test driver weekdays :lol:

COOL! have you got her email please??
    <a>road</a>
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    DavidTQ wrote:
    sombody who doubles up as a 14 year old girl on myspace at the weekend and ferrari test driver weekdays :lol:

COOL! have you got her email please??

found her on you tube...

discretion advised before following the link might not be entirely work safe :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NYAkbBYY9gk
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I've had quite a few incidents of being cut up, a couple have resulted in me being knocked off. One lovely tw4t in a white van didn't even bother stopping, despite the thud I must have made when I hit the side of his vehicle!

I think the last time was with a moped rider who was stopped centrally in an ASL box. He wasn't indicating and by his position I assumed he was going straight ahead and pulled up alongside him, a foot or two from the kerb to avoid a pothole in the junction. As the lights change they moved off and then turned left straight across me, luckily I wasn't sprinting off the lights as I might have hit him! I yelled "Well don't indicate you f**king idiot" - subtlety has never been a strong point when I encounter idiots like this on the road - which he heard through his helmet from about 10 yards away so I must have really belted it out!

I think being cut up is unfortunately to be expected when out on the road, as I see the same behavior with car drivers, such as the Corsa driver who cut across 2 lanes to get ahead going through the one way system between Colliers Wood and Mitcham the other evening, it just seems some drivers think everyone else will make an allowance for them to drive however they feel.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5