how good do you need to be?

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
I bought my first mountain bike in October, and have been riding throughout the winter as much as I can - mostly road and tracks, with some off-road and singletrack thrown in. I absolutely love it, and cant imagine what I was doing before! I really want to try trails like Afan and others in Wales, but a bit worried about the level of skill required. I can do some technical stuff like berms, riding roots and things, but dont have any mates who are into riding, so its difficult to tell how much more I need to know! Any help or tips would be great...
Also, is it ok to ride these trails on your own, or would you recommend trying to find someone to go with?
Thanks!

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

I started riding about the same time as you and am also loving it :D:D

I would say go for it and ride Afan etc - i've been several times and although i'm still a beginner I just get off and walk the bits that I can't do. I felt a bit daft the first time but everyone has been great, and as long you keep an eye out and don't get in the ways of the guys riding it's fine!

You'll get so much from riding in a different environment, and it really is great fun. Go for it, you'll have a fab time!

Personally, I would definitely say ride with others though... Not only from a safety point of view, but it's nice to have someone to congratulate on the good bits (and make you feel better for the bad bits!). I also ride better and faster with others.

Enjoy!

Sarah
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Totally agree with Sarah,

Get out there and ride, best way to improve is to try, obviously try and stay as local as you can to start with you can learn a trail then and that will help you get your skills ready to take them esle where

Keep riding!
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Dont be fooled into thinking that trail centres are full of Pro standard XC riders,thats what I thought the first time I went to one but there are riders of all abilities so you will be fine.You sound like you have a good basic skill level so just go and try it,you dont have to ride every section and if you do ride alone most trail centres are busy enough that if you did get into trouble another rider would be along within a couple if minutes! Other riders are usually chatty and happy to help in an emergency,when fixing a puncture at Cwmcarn the other week I was passed by half a dozen riders,all of them asked if I needed any help or tools etc !!
  • I haven't been riding long and I went llandegla for the first time last weekend. Apart from blowing out my ars* on the uphill (more hill practice and fitness training needed) I loved it. Did the Blue beginners route and it was great and easier than I expected it to be. Couple more runs on that to get a bit of confidence and I think I'll try the red route.

Only thing to remember is to do only what your happy with, you'll look more silly coming off the bike on a section that you are not up to than you will getting off and walking it and if you do feel silly who cares! you probably won't know the people that are on the trails and chances of you seeing them again and remembering them is slim.
  • guido1
    guido1 Posts: 72
    im almost offended. No-one to go riding with......
    I am Guido. I am gone like Ghost.
  • matty284
    matty284 Posts: 1
    I haven't been riding that long and when I went up to Still Woods with my friend, I expected it to be full of DH and Dirtjumpers, but when we got up there, we only saw two people who were really nice. :D
  • guido1
    guido1 Posts: 72
    I have to agree ith the guys above, we can give it a go and if you dont want to do something then we can just walk it.

But as a tip, try the FOD skills track (the end of FODCA trail) there is almost every situation there to practice on, its on a flat bit and you will learn a lot-ready to take to wales. Also body amr will really help confidence.
    I am Guido. I am gone like Ghost.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    Thanks for all your comments - im feeling much more encouraged to go out and try new stuff!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Most trails tend to have different routes for different abilities, tends to go Green, Blue, Red then Black so you could work your way up.

If you're worried about being pressurised by fast riders go when you think it'll be quiet, but everyone out there tends to remember they were a learner once. Just keep an ear open for anyone hammering up behind you and let them past when it's safe.

Once you try them you'll love them and be back as often as you can, bet the skill level will increase at a rate you wouldn't believe either.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Lexie,

also use the forum to find riders in your area maybe you can tag along once or twice with som e guys, you will pick up skill sfrom them and learn as you ride.