muscle fatigue rest days

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
i have been cycling now since oct 2006, i cycle to work and back about 3 times a week and ive done the following longer rides
4x 32 mls
4x50 mls
3x 60 mls
3x70 mls
1x 94 mls
at the end of the 94 mls i had to walk up the last few big hills as my muscles gave up, that was last aug, just this last week i went out on sat 47 miles half with wind against me and some snow then on tuesday i did 70 miles and after a lot of hills my muscles gave up on the same 2 hills as the 94 miles as i came back the same way as before through trough of bowland, the 94 miles was from lancaster to skipton via kirkby lonsdale then from skipton to trough of bowland via waddigton fell, my last rides where lancaster to kendal and back. then lancaster to kirkby lonsdale to settle then long preston, slaidburn and trough of bowland
should i just be doing shorter rides to get fit, anyone else had there muscles give up like this

Comments

• scak456
    scak456 Posts: 55
    What gearing have you got on the bike?

Do you pace yourself & keep a nice high/easy cadence going up hill (less tiring)?

Do you follow the 10% rule (i.e. don't do more than 10% increase on the week before)?

Do you stay seated whilst climbing therefore use less energy?

Do you eat/drink regularly whilst out (e.g. couple of swings of energy drink every 15/20 mins?

Just a few ideas!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    the last date that you mentioned was Sept. Have you been off the bike in the winter? Cold weather means that your muscles are (dare I state the obvious) cold. and take time tio warm up. as skak advised nutrition and hydration are essential but to get up hills your muscles need to be used to working. not just long efforts.

I have improved since I began commuting ony 8 miles a day there and back 3 times a week
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business