Hope Moto V2 adjusting?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
As a new recipient of some Hope Moto V2 brakes, I’m terribly excited. But not to see even after a few squeezes, the levers still touch the handlebars. How can I get them to sit further out so to speak? With a few quick pumps they grab the disc at a reasonable distance but that’s obviously not right. I know I can adjust the distance the lever sits from the bars but what about the actual bite point if that’s the correct term? The manual didn’t seem to be much help unless I missed something. I thought it would auto adjust to somewhere sensible, not auto adjust all the way to the handlebars. I presume there is enough oil in there and they’re properly bled etc?
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how long have you had them? the pistons do need to settle in.

But what is the big red dial?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dirtbiker100
    nicklouse wrote:
    so how long have you had them? the pistons do need to settle in.
    But what is the big red dial?

well i realise they need to bed in but touching the bars already surely can't be good. was thinking about the red dial and nudged it a bit but as i said the manual is not all that helpful. i'll give another look at the red dial tonight.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok then adjust the lever away from the bar. pump the lever to help the pistons set. readjust reach set pad adjust to the best you can and use. tweek as needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    DB, as you know I have them on my wildcard and had the same problem, but after while they sort themselves out, you need to stick a 2mm (I think) alan key into the red dial and adjust accordingly - read the manual (well sheet) - all kinds of good stuff in there.... :wink:

They take a while to sort themselves out but after about 10 miles worth of braking/riding the levers don't feel as spongy - it's a new brake thing.
  • dirtbiker100
    ah you got a sheet? did it have moto brake related stuff? i don't think i got that just a little booklet that talked about all the other brakes but no mention of the moto's

oh btw the brakes are part of a 2007 marin quake 7.3... :D
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    dude - you got it... did you post pics?

Nice one! :D
  • dirtbiker100
    pics will be up when it gets dark - i got a bike to play with first ha