Jumping red lights - or not....????!!

pware
pware Posts: 44
edited March 2008 in Campaign
Hi Guys,

I've read a few "jumping reds" threads here, and I've thought that nobody has actually said WHEN they jump the red lights, and I feel it's all a little confusing.

Are people saying that when they jump the red lights they are basically 2 seconds in front of the lights turning green, as they know when/or see the other lights going amber?

OR

Are people saying that when they come to red lights, if nobody is there, they go?

I know of a few red lights in my town where I know the timing of the lights and can tell when my red will turn green with respect of the others going amber, which personally gives me about 2 seconds head start.

Are people really arguing about running reds disregarding other traffic, or are they just saying "its going to turn green in 2 seconds, traffic has stopped that side, I'm off!!!"....?

Phil.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I know a few lights like that, that I pass through often. I can guage the approach of the green light and am clipped in ready for the off. Occaisonaly I've jumped the gun by a few teenths of a second, other times I've got it wrong and dabbed only for the lights to change. If you appraoch a set of lights on red and try not to dab and end up doing so, the split second your foot makes contact with the road, it completes a circuit and the lights will change.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    pware wrote:
    Are people saying that when they come to red lights, if nobody is there, they go?.

That's what I do - most of the lights are triggered ones which I can never seem to trigger, so it's either wait (possibly for ages) or go when it's clear.

As far I'm concerned the lights are faulty as they won't change.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I'm tempted, but this time I'll let it go!

:o
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...hts/article.do

Dave's right: we cyclists need to jump red lights

Charlotte Ross
    placeDeferredAd('sky', 'AAMSZ=120x600');

As a confirmed liberal Leftie, I am not averse to finding pleasure in David Cameron's discomfort. Yet for once I did not share in the Schadenfreude after he was caught breaking half the rules in the Highway Code.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    redvee wrote:
    If you appraoch a set of lights on red and try not to dab and end up doing so, the split second your foot makes contact with the road, it completes a circuit and the lights will change.

I'm not normally this pedantic but I'm compelled to comment. The only thing your foot has completed is a journey to the ground, traffic lights do not have some kind of alien technology that knows when your foot is on the floor and you're waiting to set off. They are either on old-fashioned timers or have some intelligent control using induction loops cut into the road surface on each arm of the junction. These loops detect big lumps of metal (i.e. cars) so the lights can be programmed to adjust the phasing/timing according to queue lengths etc.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Graham G wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    If you appraoch a set of lights on red and try not to dab and end up doing so, the split second your foot makes contact with the road, it completes a circuit and the lights will change.

I'm not normally this pedantic but I'm compelled to comment. The only thing your foot has completed is a journey to the ground, traffic lights do not have some kind of alien technology that knows when your foot is on the floor and you're waiting to set off. They are either on old-fashioned timers or have some intelligent control using induction loops cut into the road surface on each arm of the junction. These loops detect big lumps of metal (i.e. cars) so the lights can be programmed to adjust the phasing/timing according to queue lengths etc.

er do you not think thiswas a humourous comment, on the basis that it always happens when you least need it.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • richardast
    richardast Posts: 273
    :roll:
    I got it Redvee. Always happens to me too.
    A bit like when I was a kid - you could wait at the bus stop for 15 minutes, but as soon as you lit a cig, the number 61 would appear around the corner.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:

Tongue firmly in the side of my mouth :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    You know those cameras on top of lights?

They are programmed to spot a trackstand and are designed to change when a foot hits the ground - I thought everyone knew that.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    It is true that cars cause lights to change. Many moped riders have attached magnets to their rides because the lights can't sense them. Particularly in America, sensor are put in the road by the lights, so in fact contacing the ground may help to change lights.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I formally confess to running red lights that don't change when bikes pass and there is no traffic to trip them in my direction.

There are lights that appear to pass through a full cycle fully during the day, but revert to induction activation to include some parts of the cycle at night.

Are there any traffic planners out there who feel brave enough to identify themselves? Why can't we have a wee button to press at such junctions? Please?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've ran a few red lights early on a Saturday or Sunday morning when there's been no traffic about. When I approach a set of lights I'll check behind to see if there's' a vehicle to trigger the lights. If there is I'll stop and wait my turn. If not I ain't going to hang around for 5 mins at 6:40 on Sunday morning for a vehicle to come along to give me right of way.

During the week or at peak times I don't feel the need, there's sufficient traffic about to trigger the lights in my favour or a stop is necessary due to the volume of traffic crossing my path.