mavic letters and numbers

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
anyone know what the letters and numbers mean on mavic rims ie xm719 or ex 721
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the letters are the "usage" and the number describe the rim.

why? what do you want to know?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    letters are the usage (XM = cross country, EX = Heavy usage). First number is quality, higher the better. The last 2 numbers are the rim width in mm... 21 = 21mm, 19 = 19mm
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    xm is all mountain, xc is well, xc!

The first number is quality, but 7 is the same as 8 except for 8 is also UST
  • cjw
    No... they changed last year. The old XM became EN and XM is now a cross country rim.
    In the world of rims, the XC racing rims stays the same, with the XC717 and XC717 Disc, the mid range freeridey/allmountain XM321 Disc is now called the EN321 Disc and is in the Enduro FR category. It's getting a popular lightweight but tough rim and you can stick big fat 2.5" tyres on there. Cross mountain rims stay largely the same, but there is a new rim called the XM719 Disc. It's meant as a mid/high end all round XC disk specific rim, weighing in at 460g with single eyelets using Maxtal alloy and SUP
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    All in all pretty confusing!
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so as you can see it can be a minefield out there so back to my question what do YOU want to know. Then you can be given that info rather than lots of this and that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XM = cross mountain
    XC = cross country
    EN = enduro
    EX = extreme
    D = downhill
    F= freeride

Some are older than others! The first number represents class of rim , the latter its width. But it has not always been like this.

Take the above as a generalisation.

EG XC 717 is a premium rim, the '7' being a pinned and welded rim, with a 17mm internal diameter. 8 is a UST rim. 6 is a ceramic rim. 3 is a budget pinned rim. 1 is the OE stuff.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You forgot:

TN = twenty nine
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    thanks guys I had guessed that the last 2 numbers were rim inside diameter but the letters and the 1st number were bugging me I can now order me rims :)
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap