Lower Gearing/Older Bike.

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited April 2008 in Road general
I should really know this I suppose, but what is easiest (cheapest?) way to get lower gearing on the c. 1980 Carlton I've just acquired? It's a 2x5. 52/42 up front is too big. No wish to change the 5, so I guess either a triple or a compact. If a 3x, am I right in thinking new F + R mechs and B/B? If so, then a compact much cheaper - I'm assuming need nowt more than the chainset? Am I missing any compatability issues? Chain on old 5 speed block v. new ring set?

I'll be running non-index so shifters not an issue.

I've never bothered up-dating an old bike before - I know it isn't really worth it - cheaper just to buy a newer bike! Or chop 'em into a fixed.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    The cheapest option would be to change the freewheel and buy a new chain. A Shimano 5 speed freewheel and chain (look on Wiggle site) will cost less than £25; a new chainset will possibly be double that. I think a 14 x 28 block is available which will give quite a low bottom gear. My training bike has 39 x 28 bottom gear and it is possible to climb some very steep hills on this gear.
  • meagain
    :oops: I have a 28 already! That and a 42 ain't low enough I fear - nor would a 39 be (and in any case the c'set does not have removeable rings). :oops:

I'm thinking LOW!
    d.j.
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    Same here, 38x28 does most hills for me and I am 90Kgs

Dotbike have a good choice of chainrings, e.g. http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP1543.aspx?A=3&TRACK=DPL
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Looks like a triple chainset is the answer, I don’t think this can be done on the cheap as dropping from a 42 small ring to something like a 30 will necessitate a long cage derailleur; so you would need a new chainset, chain and derailleur. Shimano do a 7 speed freewheel with a very low 34 tooth bottom gear; would it be possible to ‘re set’(cold setting i.e. bend it) your rear wheel spacing and fit one of these with a long cage derailleur.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    You can pick up a triple pretty cheap on eBay if you're not picky about it being a fancy one, and in my experience, many older FD's will actually do the job. I put a triple on a bike I built for a friend, and an early 80's Suntour Cyclone (I think) FD, definitely NOT triple specific, shifts it absolutely fine.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • meagain
    Thanks all. For starters I've fitted a Stronglight 48/36. Also realised that biggest rear is a 24, so I'll fit a 14-28 block next. Probably do. Riding alone (95% of the time) I use a 60" fixed, but a bit unsocial with a group (I don't mind walking uphill if I have to!).
    d.j.
  • s.frisby
    s.frisby Posts: 48
    Hi there,

It was really nice to hear that there is someone else in the world that needs a low gear.

The lowest that I managed on a road bike was 22/34 or about 17.5 inches. This was via a mountain bike triple set and a huge megarange 7 speed screw on rear freewheel. Shimano also make a 6 speed megarange.

I began riding fixed with a 60" gear, but after time I have increased this size to 70".

The reason that I needed the low gears is because I am a type 1 diabetic. Whilst cycling it's possible to get a low blood sugar reading - just like bonking - many times during a long ride if you're not on top of your blood/glucose readings, and the low gears enabled me to be able to continue on the event whilst injested glucose took effect.

Good luck with your quest for low gears.
    As one door closes, another slams in your face.
  • SamWise72
    IMO switching to a triple doesn't neccesarily mean new derraileurs. I built up a bike for a friend from parts I had lying around, and used old Suntour Cyclone derailleurs - short cage rear, and a front designed for a double. IIRC the small ring at the front was a 30, and the derailleurs handled it fine. Don't get me wrong - I had to get the chain length right, but they could cope, and I didn't spend too much extra cash.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• meagain
    "a Stronglight 48/36" has made a significant difference. When I get around to it, I think a 28 at the back will finish the job!

Thanks all.
    d.j.
  • SamWise72
    Good news!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg