Road Helmets

Gregore
Gregore Posts: 17
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Im on the lookout for a new helmet for around £30-£40 and haven't got a clue what is a good road helmet and what isn't.Is there anyone out there who could advise me in anyway.

Thank you.

Comments

• gjh0702
    gjh0702 Posts: 52
    I have just bought a Rudy Kontact from Ribble- looks great, well built and a bargain at £30. Plus its got insect netting which will help in the summer
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Get down to your local bike shop!

My Bell cost £20

Don't buy on line unless replacing like for like
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I think its down to you trying a few on and going for the most comfortable and the one that makes you look least like a mushroom :wink: So probs best to go to your biggest LBS (local bike store) and try a few on. As it is such a personal thing i would advise against buying blind on the internet.

Or you could of course go helmet free - i didn't mean it :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I bought one from Decathlon recently, made by Ked it has two ligts built into the rear as well. It is german and costs £12. It's not the best looking in the world, but it is comfortable and i liked the safety of the night vision.

img_back.jpg
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Isn't there a big review of helmets in the cycling+ this month :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Hi, like other posters I think it is largely down to fit and feel.

As to the "so called" helmet review in Cycling Plus...don't waste your time or money. The publishers should be ashamed of pushing out this "advertiser sponsored, page filling rubbish". I would have thought the very least a reader would wan't to know is how these lids are going to perform in the event of an "off". Not a bit of it. "No industry standard tests" I hear them say...well so what, you're a bloody cycling magazine...make some up! Proper cyclists need to know such things as "how fiddly does the clasp get when it's soaking wet and you are trying to manipulate with one hand! Utter rubbish :x

Sorry about the rant! My advice, just try as many on as you can...I would also go for the most ventilated you can get, insect nets are a good idea and just use the old cling film trick in the pouring rain.

:)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    gjh0702 wrote:
    I have just bought a Rudy Kontact from Ribble- looks great, well built and a bargain at £30. Plus its got insect netting which will help in the summer

Hey there,
    really interested in the Rudy project Helmet, just sent you a PM for some more info.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I've got a Giro Monza and its great, think I paid about £35 for it too

:)