Need Help With New Bike

sjhbrown
sjhbrown Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Recently got into cycling and have been enjoying it that i've decided to spend some money(around £800) on a new bike i'll be using it pleasure and commuting approx 120miles a week on good roads. Started going round the bike shops and i've ended up more confused than when i started.

The specialized elite range caught my eye though

I'm new to the forum and find it excellent for information and your opinions will be very helpful
thanks

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'd go fotr Spez, but I have an Allez Sport, I love it!

The key is finding one that fits and is comfortable, don't forget to cost in pedals, shoes helmet etc
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, best to try a few bikes to get a good idea what you want. Many road bikes have quite a low / racing position with a longer top tube. Some like the Giant SCR are more upright with a shorter top tube and comfort orientated. The Specialized Allez looks like a compromise between the two so might be a good place to start.
    The most important thing is to get the correct size not just what the salesperson is trying to shift :!:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Regular 120 miles a week means a lot of wet weather! Probably best to go for one that will take 'grds!. I know it sounds obvious...but chap who runs one of most successful bike shops in these parts once told me gleefully of customers who would buy a race rep in nice weather and when it rained come back and be most upset when told, no, sorry, you can't fit "proper" m'grds! And a grand bike simply put away...
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."