What accessories will I need?

gk141054
gk141054 Posts: 175
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi folks,

I am looking to buy a hardtail MB through the cycle to work scheme and since I live in Stafford I would like to do a bit of XC on Cannock Chase....

I'm just wondering, apart from a bike, what else will I need to get me started.... I really am a novice MTB'er so please excuse my ignorance....

I assume I will need a helmet, but what sort should I go for, wouldn't want to be laughed at by the young whippersnappers zooming past me 8)

What other accessories should I invest in?

Cheers

Comments

• James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    Clothing wise, some sort of base layer to keep you cool. You can buy a bike specific one if you want, but you can get cheap wicking t-shirts in places like Millets or have a look in TK Maxx in the 'Active Wear' section. Then over that I would normally wear a half zip cycling jersey, and a jacket for cold or wet days. Aldi are getting cycling stuff in on the 1st of May I think, so have a look there, it's supposed to be very good for the price.

Go and try a few helmets on in a shop to see what's best fitting. You can get a half decent one for £25 or so. Cycling gloves will also make your ride a lot more comfortable.

Also need a puncture repair kit, spare innertube etc.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    A base layer is not really 'essential' is it? You could ride a bike without one. Any old t-shirt will do to get you going. If you want to waste money on overpriced 'technical' clobber later you can (and probably will).

If you're planning on riding for more than an hour or so, then I would recommend some gloves and some padded lycra shorts (you can wear them under normal baggy shorts or tracky bottoms) to begin with. A spare tube, tyre levers, a puncture repair kit and a pump.

As for the helmet, just go to the shop and try a few on and see what fits your head and your budget. Remember that the peaked helmets are for MTBers and the non-peaked ones are for roadies.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I got a Bell Fusion from Halfords for £23, a very good helmet which gets great reviews. However, kae sure a helmet fits well as this is the most important aspect when it comes to buying.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Personally I'd get the following:

- Good Helmet such as the Giro Havoc
    - Mini Pump
    - good multi tool like a Crank Brothers one
    - Tyre levers
    - the slims stick on puncture repair patches, you might need them some day
    - camel pack or similar
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    And some spare inner tubes, buying is bulk is cheaper. Tredz are doing buy 5 get 5 free (£20) on Spesh tubes ATM.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Might i suggest some clear glasses?
    I went off-road at the weekend for the first time in years with a local club, and i lost count of the number of times i was momentarily blinded by flying mud from the bike in front or my own front wheel.

Bloody good fun, though! :D
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    xcracer wrote:
    A base layer is not really 'essential' is it? You could ride a bike without one. Any old t-shirt will do to get you going. If you want to waste money on overpriced 'technical' clobber later you can (and probably will).

A good base layer can make all the difference to a ride. I have two - a Helly Hansen Lifa for cold weather and an UnderArmour Heat Gear for warm weather.

The HH draws moisture (i.e. sweat) away from your body and uses your body heat to evaporate it off. It keeps you warm AND dry.

The UnderArmour is great in hot weather - as well as keeping you dry it accentuates your body's ability to keep itself cool.

A cotton t-shirt cannot keep you warm for long - as soon as it becomes wet it retains that moisture and you get cold. Fine in summer, but not much fun in winter!

Even if you don't feel that a base layer is an immediate essential, it should be high on your list of priorities.

My advice would be -

Immediate essentials -
    Shorts or padded under-shorts
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Glasses
    Hydration pack or bum-bag
    Puncture kit, spare inner tube and pump
    Water/wind-proof jacket

High Priority
    Base layer
    Basic tools (allen keys, spoke key, chain tool, screwdriver (both flat and cross-head)
    Suitable cycling shoes
    Waterproof leggings

That should see you right to start with - the rest you can pick up as you go along.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    toilet paper
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    go to swinertons at birches valley visitor centre, cannock chase, they have a good range of helmets and most of the other stuff mentioned
    what are brakes for again
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    defo avoid t-shirts or anything cotton, cotton kills on the hills.
    technical t's etc should be taken advantage of, they really do the job they are designed for, glasses for sure, i aint got any as yet, my eyes take a hammering especially in the wind 8)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    I got some cheap Mvision Darcs from ebay after my eyes suffered in the wind. Take them with me every ride now, stops mud, rain, wind and they come with 3 lenses for all conditions.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Its always a good idea to carry a spare rear mech hanger, especially on rocky routes.

Phil
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    For glasses just take a look at the safety specs in B and Q.Can get something reasonable for £7.
    Shorts,gloves,helmet,multitool,spare tube and puncture repair kit are a must.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo