longest uphill?

xwolfgangx
xwolfgangx Posts: 36
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
am new this forum. i try rider get longest uphill, anyone know where in Surrey or Sussex? thank

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In Surrey, it's probably up Leith Hill from Coldharbour Lane which is about 180m of ascent, or alternatively in West Sussex, from Midhurst/Easebourne up towards Fernhurst on the A286, which has about 150m of ascent - I ride both on a regular basis. There are plenty of other longish ascents if you ride south from Farnham on the A287 to Hindhead, Haslemere and then turn-around at Midhurst to ride back the other way.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Ashdown Forest area - a few longish drags there as well as a couple of shorter steep ones.

Riding from north to south out of London over the North Downs you are on the top of strata that has been tilted by geological activity over the ages, so it is possible to find routes anything up to 10 km in length of almost continual climbing, albeit at a generally shallow gradient - e.g. the lanes in the Biggin Hill and Chartwell area (I know, this is east of where you are interested in). But however shallow the gradient, it is still sustained effort nevertheless, so if you want it harder just ride in a higher gear.

Coming back, from south to north, you hit the steeper side of the tilt, so many climbs are short but with 15-20% sections, e.g. Horseblock Hollow, Whitedown, Toys Hill are longer ones of this type.
  • thank help.....am interest about area Biggin Hill, Chartwell and Toys Hill. i wonder how very steep ? lol
    cheer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Steep can be in excess of 20% - the longer climbs I listed are typically no greater than 10% at worst - however, a regular diet of the Surrey Hills is more than adequate training for the likes of the Alps/Pyrenees - you just have to join a few up on your ride. It's possible to link a few together to put together about 3,000m of climbing in about 150km - more than enough for training for serious alpine sportives!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I remember when living in sussex that the drag from the railway station in Eastbourne up to the golf course was about 4 miles of climbing at varying degrees of steepness
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    If you are interested in the Biggin Hill area, try Westerham hill. If you want something a bit quieter and steeper go east along the pillgrims way from the bottom of Westerham hill and turn left up some of the hills into Cudham or Knockholt.
  • RichardFcp
    RichardFcp Posts: 155
    Term1te wrote:
    If you are interested in the Biggin Hill area, try Westerham hill. If you want something a bit quieter and steeper go east along the pillgrims way from the bottom of Westerham hill and turn left up some of the hills into Cudham or Knockholt.

If you are riding hills in this area, there is also Titsey Hill which will bring tears to your eyes!
    Why is there this preoccupation for riders to climb the longest/steepest hills?

So you made it to the top without climbing off. Big Deal. What do you want a medal?
  • LOL, well, i need some lose 4 stone lard. i hate run, gym and swim. i love rider bike so longer up hill that help. :lol:
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800

riding up steep hills just seems so much more acceptable than thrashing yourself with a whip :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    feel wrote:

riding up steep hills just seems so much more acceptable than thrashing yourself with a whip :wink:
    Really?

*shame*